Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Where do you make friends?

Posted by   + Show Post

At my last job, the male to female ratio wasn't terrible, but not great. I would say it was about 25% female. However, everyone was at least 15 years older than me, and I was at least 45 minutes from home, so it was difficult to make any friends to do stuff with outside of work. This new job is better age wise, but worse female wise. I was sitting in a meeting today and out of curiosity counted the ratio. There were 43 people in the room and  a whopping 5 women! That would be close to a 10% ratio of women to men. Of those in the room, all but me and another woman were admin staff that I don't work with. So, how do you make friends to hang out with outside of work if you don't work with anyone you can really be friends with? I can be great friends with guys, but I would really like girlfriends to hang out with. I had a few in 2008 right before the company I was working for went bankrupt, and then all of us that had started hanging out ended up all over the country :( I miss social time!! 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Awwwwww <3

Quoting eatyourveges:

Like meeeeeee!

Ps the picture of you and Baylie from your Christmas card is still on my fridge, Liam likes it. I think he has a crush ;-)

Quoting leahbeah143:

There are a few girls that I hang out with outside of work, but it's not very often. I have my bff that I've known since 7th grade, but she lives 45 minutes to an hour away. Sadly most of my friends are on here.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I have...and it seems like not a single other mother brings their kids to the practices DS goes to. Its all dads! The only other woman at our practices is the woman who runs the program, and she is also our DCP :) At least right now. His sampler program ends in about a month, and then they will move on to soccer, so maybe more moms will show up when its outside and nice again :)

Quoting Marti123:

Yea, that would be fun.

You know, have you started into group practices for DS in soccer and swim and those kinds of things yet? I meet some really awesome moms through those activities. It gets pretty busy, but it's fun to chat it up during practices. And you see each other every week-end.

Quoting Nighttiger:

*Tree cut**

iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:58 AM

My son is 2.5 and still does mommy and me activities, so we've made acquaintances through that. (Gymnastics tends to have a lot more mommy's than daddy's). I've also become very good friends with old daycare teachers DS had as an infant. We go to lunch together, get our kids together for play dates, go to each other's birthday parties etc. A couple of our neighbors have kids that are within 9 months of my son's age. We go off for play dates and have even gone to church with them.

We are in the process of joining a church and hope to make some new friends there too.

WonderWomanSV
by Stacey on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I haven't made any friends at work that I hang out with outside of work. There's been potential, but nothing has come of them. I've just held on to highschool friends.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I've made a few friends at work but they're on different shifts so getting together is next to impossible :( I've met a couple women from cm and we've gotten together for play dates several times. One is actually our back up sitter now. I do occasionally hang out with my sil but not often since it seems like we get sick every time we go over there.

Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My closest friend lives in NY.  I am in NJ so we are 45 minutes away if we meet in Manhattan.  We are so busy, we see each other once a year every August for a girls day of shopping and then dinner.  We need to do it more but don't have the time.  I have a friend in VA, one in South NJ, one in FL.  No local friends. Its tough to make friends when you get older, no time to hang out anymore. 

annasmom1234
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Quoting the3Rs:

I wish I had an answer. I don't have any friends that I can hang out with socially.

Ditto

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I don't really have a lot of friends that I go out and do things with. The ones I do have I've met either through work or through the kids (kids' friends' moms, etc).

mickstinator
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Cafemom. Seriously, I have no other opportunities in my life to even meet new people and no time to add something new. 

We're changing churches soon (whenever they find someone to replace me as the nursery director). I think this will really help the social problem. My current church is pretty small and the young adult sector is practically non-existent.

andrea96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Cafemom. I also meet friends by getting involved in my neighborhood, the PTA, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)