Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Where do you make friends?

Posted by   + Show Post

At my last job, the male to female ratio wasn't terrible, but not great. I would say it was about 25% female. However, everyone was at least 15 years older than me, and I was at least 45 minutes from home, so it was difficult to make any friends to do stuff with outside of work. This new job is better age wise, but worse female wise. I was sitting in a meeting today and out of curiosity counted the ratio. There were 43 people in the room and  a whopping 5 women! That would be close to a 10% ratio of women to men. Of those in the room, all but me and another woman were admin staff that I don't work with. So, how do you make friends to hang out with outside of work if you don't work with anyone you can really be friends with? I can be great friends with guys, but I would really like girlfriends to hang out with. I had a few in 2008 right before the company I was working for went bankrupt, and then all of us that had started hanging out ended up all over the country :( I miss social time!! 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Replies (21-26):
Monkeymama930
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Most of my friends are male. :-) but I'm a teacher so the ratio is pretty 50/50
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Most of my friends (ones I see outside of work) are from work. not in my department anymore (i changed dept) 

flutter523
by Tracy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I sadly don't have any friends that I see regularly either. I have work friends but that stays at work. I never get out of the house alone. I do see a few girls from HS that have kids the same age as Logan but its rare and always involves the boys. You can come visit me Ashley!!
beachbum74
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I had two of my best friends that I met through my last job and although we got together often, when I was laid off they drifted away also so now I don't have many friends here. I do have one good friend from work and then I am part of a mom's group but I don't see them often. I also belong to some groups on meetup.com but haven't made any events. :( I guess there are ways to make friends and I'm normally so outgoing but when you first meet me, I'm shy. 

I go to church consistently and didn't make any friends through there.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:21 AM

A number of my friends are former colleagues, but others are those I met volunteering at my children's schools and at our parish. 

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Our library does an evening story time once a month and I met some neighbors with kids close in age there. We have met at the park a few times.

My coworker has become friends with other couples from her son's baseball team and school. She likes it because she can be social with her hubby.

I feel lucky that I have my group of friends...5 couples, 9 kids! But as our kids get older and in different school districts it be harder to get together. I am hoping to meet others when ds1 gets in school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN