Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is it the cereal??

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
I practically grew up on Raisin Bran. LOVE the stuff. However, last week DH bought a generic Raisin Bran to save $$. No biggie, we often go generic.

So, I had my first bowl on Sunday-and immediately afterwards I was having trouble breathing, very dizzy and a horrible, rumbly/barking chest cough & my voice was all crackly & shaky. It lasted a few hours & then I was better (except the dizzy part).

Well, yesterday I had another bowl & within minutes I had the same reaction! I'm not allergic to anything except Autumn (runny nose, itchy eyes)..but it seems that cereal could be the culprit. Am I suddenly allergic?!

But is that possible?!?! Seems so weird, but I'm NOT eating that again!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansmommy9
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Don't blame you! Better safe than sorry.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM

There are certain foods that I think taste different when you get the generic. Maybe they put a different ingredient in it that's making you feel that way.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Throw it out. Goodness knows what's in the flakes or the raisins.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM

It might not be a specific ingredient. It may be a bad batch with something bad accidentally mixed in. Throw it out for sure. Also, your alergies change throughout your life, so its 100% possible you are now allergic. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I develop new allergies with every major hormone change: puberty, pregnancy, weaning from breast, etc.  It is entirely possible for you to develop an allergy to a familiar food, my first severe reaction was to honey in high school, and at that point I had been eating honey for years.  Over ten years later I still can't touch the stuff.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Yikes! I'd definitely throw it out. It is possible to develop allergies (or have them go away) I used to eat mushrooms all the time growing up but now if I get food made with cream of mushroom soup my throat closes up. It's not fun.

wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Could the generic have different ingrediants?? And yes its possible to be allergic now, your body changes ever so often. But maybe there is just something in the generic brand.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I guess I'll buy the name brand Raisin Bran and give it a try.  If I'm OK, we know it was either a bad batch or the unique ingredients in the generic (which I hope is the case).  If I have trouble, looks like no more Raisin Bran for me (hope not!)

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

 yikes, I would definitely throw it out! I'm guessing they use different ingredients that cut costs and you might be sensitive to them.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It could have a slightly different quality of an ingredient, which, due to the way it is processed, causes a reaction in you.  Or they produce it with Autumn.  Can you put Autumn in a flake? 

I wouldn't eat it again, either.  And tell DH that only the real raisin bran will do for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)