Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

The time has come

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 12 Replies

The time has come to update my younger two sons' room.  They have had a bunk bed system for about 7 years (pic below) and it is a NIGHTMARE changing the sheets on the upper bunk.  Plus, they're just sick of it and want a more grown up room.  Getting two twin beds will make it easier when they get their own rooms (in about 2 years) as well.

Do any of you have kids who share a room?  Wanna share pics of your kids rooms to give me ideas?

Their bunk beds now:

A couple of options we're considering for each of them...

We would sell the existing set, which means we'd also lose 5 small drawers and 3 shelves and 1 desk of storage - so we'd have to figure out how to recoup that.  We have a dresser downstairs we could bring up which would solve the drawer storage issue...the headboards would solve the shelves storage issue...not sure about the desk though.  Time to purge I guess!

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I only have one, so no need to share.  We have a dresser and a book shelf for storage.  She doesn't need a desk yet, so we don't need to work that into her room.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I only have one, too, but she has bunk beds. We seperated them into two beds over the summer.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I wish we could do that, but the way the bunk beds are, that won't work for us.

Quoting leahbeah143:

I only have one, too, but she has bunk beds. We seperated them into two beds over the summer.

MansfieldMama
by Angela on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Our youngest son has a Captain's Bed that is similar to this:

http://www.kidsfurniturewarehouse-orlando.com/Acadia_Merlot_Twin_Size_Bookcase_Captains_Beds_p/dwf2820.htm

It works well for storage.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I don't have pictures but all 3 share a room.  We have a small house and their rooms were very small.  My oldest daughter had her own room and our twins (at the time they were babies and toddlers in cribs) shared another.  Because how small the rooms were, their toys were in our living room which drove me nutso!  Also, my oldest always wanted to be with her sisters.

So, about 4 years ago we took the wall down between their rooms and made it one big room.  My 9 year old has one side (bed, wardrobe closet with games and sweaters, desk), my 6 year old twins are on the other side (bunk, closet), and in the middle is an Ikea couch, a bookshelf, a toy chest and a TV.  It looks like a little studio.  I don't have a picture though.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Sounds great!

I did consider putting three beds in one room and the dressers for everyone in another room (we already have a family room with toy storage, etc.), but my 13 year old would hate moving in with his younger brothers.  When he turns 15 we *think* we'll move him downstairs to my office (not sure where my office will go - probably a scaled down desk in the family room), and our then 11 year old son will move into the then 15 year old's old room, so they'll all have their own space.

Quoting M4LG5:

I don't have pictures but all 3 share a room.  We have a small house and their rooms were very small.  My oldest daughter had her own room and our twins (at the time they were babies and toddlers in cribs) shared another.  Because how small the rooms were, their toys were in our living room which drove me nutso!  Also, my oldest always wanted to be with her sisters.

So, about 4 years ago we took the wall down between their rooms and made it one big room.  My 9 year old has one side (bed, wardrobe closet with games and sweaters, desk), my 6 year old twins are on the other side (bunk, closet), and in the middle is an Ikea couch, a bookshelf, a toy chest and a TV.  It looks like a little studio.  I don't have a picture though.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My 9 year old would like her own room but I know her well enough that I don't know how well she will do because she is the one that doesn't like to be alone.  I think she needs her own space more but right now, we just can't do that.  We live in a way too small of a house.  We had planned on only living here for about 3 years and then move into a bigger house but with the housing market crashing...well, that didn't happen and I'm not sure what we are going to do.

Quoting the3Rs:

Sounds great!

I did consider putting three beds in one room and the dressers for everyone in another room (we already have a family room with toy storage, etc.), but my 13 year old would hate moving in with his younger brothers.  When he turns 15 we *think* we'll move him downstairs to my office (not sure where my office will go - probably a scaled down desk in the family room), and our then 11 year old son will move into the then 15 year old's old room, so they'll all have their own space.

Quoting M4LG5:

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I love that bed. I only have one so room sharing isn't an issue here. I like the first bed more. What about a captains bed?

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM

No room sharing here - 2 kids, a son and a daughter, so each has own room.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My sons (10 and 7) share a room and we just (this week) switched them from bunks to a trundle bed. I love the bed. Now I need storage ideas. I found something I like just don't know if it's going to be enough storage for all of their toys and things.  I am not going to post a pic of their room right now b/c it's a still a disaster, lol. I'm too embarrassed to.

I will post a pic of the bed we got and the storage items I am looking at:

Trundle (catalog pic)

The catalog shows the wall shelf and bench lockers together but they were separate on line:

I wouldn't have the same pillows on the bench.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN