Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ongoing training?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 14 Replies
Each year we are able to attend company paid training from external sources to further enhance our skillset, etc. I'm supposed to submit ideas for mine this year & I'm not finding anything I want.

Do your employers encourage this? What kind of additional training have you done for your role?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

yes.  I attend a conference every other year that is state wide.  We also have trainings on campus that we are encouraged to participate in. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I am currently in college earning my BS.  That is to further my role at the company.  I also go to the payroll seminar put on by our payroll company to learn about the new stuff coming up.

Timon6903
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM
We attend training and refresher classes all the time! Most of mine are job specific information (that I could use at another job). Some of the training I have done includes certifications in my state... I hold a HAZWOPER, asbestos abatement, and hazardous painters certification in my state. Other ones I go to are through our federal training institute and usually about things that help me learn more about different topics my job covers... Like ventilation, respiratory protection, hazardous chemicals, etc. I love to find random ones tha help me resume build!
christyg
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I have to take 10 hours every year ... but luckily I get to pick them :)

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Human Services job: We have to do at least 20 hours of training a year and most of them are picked out (they're boring and mostly common sense)

CVS: We have a few onliine traings to do every year, mostly dealing with theft

Hospital: I only have to take Crisis Prevention every 2 years

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I am currently in a  year long certificate course for my field, employer paid.    I  also frequently go to one day seminars for specific topics, or law update breakfasts for example...  I think its great  your employer encourages this and provides the funding.  I understand how you are coming up dry, after a certain point, you can exhaust the training choices...

2curly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I am also in the Human Services field.  We have to do at least 24 training hours a year, some of which are mandatory and offered by the company ( first aid, CPR, etc).  The other hours we can get through the job or go outside to conferences or other trainings.  I did not do much outside the job this past year, but I usually like to get away even if it just for the day.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM

My "company" was a school system and there was an expectation of enhancing your skills each year.  I started as a math and English teacher, and over the years earned almost enough credits for a masters in math, and did earn an M.B.A. and the certification beyond that needed to be a school administrator.  

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I have to complete 20 hours of training every year. Training isn't specific~ as long as it relates in some way to my job I can go. Our company doesn't pay/reimburse for attendance at any conference but they do provide an online program for paraeducators and training sessions during our opening inservices in August.

flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Per New York state law for keeping my teaching certificate I need to complete 175 hours of professional development every 5 years. I work at a non public school so I only need to do 87.5 hours every 5 years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)