Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What are some of your money saving ideas?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 20 Replies

I am trying so hard this year to stop all my unnecessary spending and be able to save to do fun things. So far this year we have cut way back on our cable and use netflix (almost an $70/month savings)

More eating at home, reducing restauraunt eating to 1 a month. 

Making my own snacks (cookies, granola) I don't  know exactly how much we have saved, but I know it is making a difference. 

What are some tips you have, I am trying to be ruthless in what I get rid of and what we do. 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I will tell you my husband and I cash in over 90Gs a year and we still budget. After house cars and school payments, its like dang..so this is what we do.

First I do use coupons, not excessivly, I print them out or get them from the sunday paper. There are 3 of us plus a dog with allergies and a bearded dragon, so I get $300 cash only fro groceries for all of us every 2 weeks, thats $150 at the grocery story, $100 at sams $50 at petsmart for dog food and crickets/worms. I do not buy box meals as they are full of carbs. so most of my meals are made gourmet, you would be surprised on how you will save money NOT buying box meals and stocking up on spice. You will find you buy less at the store to make meals. I also plan all meals before hitting the store. Use GroceryIQ app, so I know what I am spending as I am spending it.  Its a perfect failsafe so I NEVER go over budget.

Then we take about $200 out in cash ever month or every 2 weeks and stash it   literally so we have always $1000 plus savings account  on hand for emergencies.This takes time to build, but worth it , you can even do a little by little. But its a must.

We have netflix, ABC mouse, Directv, Internet, I use Bare minerals, we even have a family account at the gym.We eat out maybe once a month, I also hit up CVS/Walgreens for deals they have a lot of B1G1. 

We also use the Mint app, on our phones and Ipads. This way if my husband or I take any money from the account, and log it , we are both notified.

We work together as a team. Before we finishe college we literally counted pennies to pay bills. And we fought a lot,even afterwards when we had more money!!!! we went to counseling at our local parish and took advised on how to save money,  we also went to financial counseling. These steps are from the very people that told us if we do this we will succeed. 10 years later our marriage is strong we don't argue about money anymore and we have control of our finances.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish we would ditch Directv ...I would love that savings.

We eat at home, take lunch, rarely get fancy coffee. We do spend a not on groceries (and we dont buy a lot of junk/snacks but produce is getting expensive). Every year or two we get new quotes on our homeowners and car insurance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

We have started to use Mint as well, but I haven't mastered it yet to use it to our full advantage.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this
We ditched landline phone & Dish Network years ago.

We have a strict budget that we don't stray from - example $200/week groceries for the 5 of us (plus 1 dog). That includes food, eating out, toiletries, cleaning products.

Speaking of cleaning, I make my own laundry soap, bathroom cleaner & all-purpose cleaner which saves TONS of money.

I auto-transfer a set amount to a completely different bank for holiday/birthday savings which takes the stress off when it's time to buy for those.

I have just started a new thing this year where you save every week to match which week of the year it is...for example 1st week of January - save $1...2nd week save $2, 3rd save $3, etc. I'm saving it as cash in an envelope & by the 52nd week I will have saved nearly $1400 which we may use for a little trip over Christmas vacation.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I have a certain amount I am able to have taken from my bi weekly paycheck and put in savings before my check is deposited into my checking account.

Than last month I paid attention to how much I saved when I bought someone on sale or used a coupon, if my gas was few dollars or cents less week to week, even add in the .03 savings I get at one station I frequent.

I added it all up and was able to save $94.

So far for this month I have written down that I should have $110 towards savings cause I will not have to pay the water bill again from last month, plus the lost books fees to the library and I have already saved $1.30 this month by buying things on sale.

So for me this is what I will continue to do thruout the year to see how much each month I can add to the amount I am already able to save.

pattya925
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Not sure if you are a huge reader/movie watcher, but last year, we saved over $6K by getting our books, CDs, and DVDs from the library instead of purchasing.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Eat out only once a month, make practically everything from scratch food wise, pack lunch and snacks from home- vending machines are money suckers, we rarely drink soda- water from the tap, tea once or twice a day, juice are all cheaper and healthier, we cut my phone package down b/c I don't use it much and once the contract is up we plan on switching me over to a pay as you go sort of plan, we have basic cable and never rent movies or ppv, simple things like being aware of water and electricity usage or regularly changing your furnace filter can make a big change in the utilities, we keep our house at a constant temperature summer or winter so the hvac does not have to do as much to raise or lower the temperature.  Grocery shopping, I shop at a store that has a free membership that automatically gives you discounts, and they run promos for example spend 30$ in their meat dept this month and get 5% off the next shopping trip, spend 100$ in a trip and get a gas discount (sometimes ten cents per gallon, sometimes twenty five cents)

campingmomof4
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I pack our lunches and a great way to use leftovers.  I take my own coffee to work.  We do fast food night by making it at home.  I do a spa night with my daughters.  We do each others nails and hair.   We have  a great time talking and they are old enogh to have a small glass of wine. 

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This advice may sound silly, but I think the best people to talk to for advice are the grandparents and great-grandparents, some of whom lived through depression times and really learned well how to save money.  My elderly relatives would probably tell you not to ditch the landline, but instead drop cell phones which are much costlier.  (Could any of us do that?  Don't know, but I do know my family cell plan costs almost $300 a month and the landline is under $30 a month.)  Same is true of cable tv and internet - something unheard of for most 50 years ago.  Necessity or luxury?  You have to decide those kind of things on your own.  Cars are another thing.  1 or 2 per family?  Old days was often 1 a family.  That  2nd car means many added costs, from insurance to gas.    ...just thoughts. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I clip coupons and check out the weekly ads for sales

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN