Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What are some of your money saving ideas?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am trying so hard this year to stop all my unnecessary spending and be able to save to do fun things. So far this year we have cut way back on our cable and use netflix (almost an $70/month savings)

More eating at home, reducing restauraunt eating to 1 a month. 

Making my own snacks (cookies, granola) I don't  know exactly how much we have saved, but I know it is making a difference. 

What are some tips you have, I am trying to be ruthless in what I get rid of and what we do. 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
mickstinator
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Shop sales (especially clothes - NEVER spend full price on any clothes!).

Put off purchasing things that you want/plan on getting, but don't need.

Buy economy-sized food portions and divide it up yourself

Predetermine an amount of each paycheck for savings and pay it like a bill. It can't be shorted or paid late or used in any other way. The money is already gone (so to speak). 

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Eating out is a big one! 

MansfieldMama
by Angela on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I make a menu a month at a time.  That way I can buy food ahead of time when it's on sale.  We're experimenting this month by not eating out at all.  We want to see how much money we can save, and I bet we save a ton!

Also, I just started making my own laundry detergent - it works great! - and cleaning supplies.  That will save a bundle!  

I also garden a bunch.  That's more for fun than anything, but it does save some money, too, when we eat what we grow.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Quoting MansfieldMama:

I make a menu a month at a time.  That way I can buy food ahead of time when it's on sale.  We're experimenting this month by not eating out at all.  We want to see how much money we can save, and I bet we save a ton!

Also, I just started making my own laundry detergent - it works great! - and cleaning supplies.  That will save a bundle!  

I also garden a bunch.  That's more for fun than anything, but it does save some money, too, when we eat what we grow.

I was seriously thinking of making my own laundry detergent, I was just worried about using it in my HE washer. How does it work and does it have a good smell? For some reason laundry doesn't feel clean to me unless it smells clean. 

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Eating out is a big one! 

I know! We stopped right after Christmas and it amazes me how much money we were wasting and restaurants. I was buying groceries we weren't using and then going for Chinese or Pizza 2 or 3 days a week. 

flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I make my own and it supposed to be fine in the HE washers (I don't have one though). You can scent tem with essential oils if you want a smell. I live using it though. It works amazing

Quoting Bubbie0809:

Quoting MansfieldMama:

I was seriously thinking of making my own laundry detergent, I was just worried about using it in my HE washer. How does it work and does it have a good smell? For some reason laundry doesn't feel clean to me unless it smells clean. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I like to match store and manufacture coupons (especially at target) to match sales and save big. I mostly do this for toiletries and paper products.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Shop sales, clip coupons, only buy necessary items.
MansfieldMama
by Angela on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Quoting Bubbie0809:

Quoting MansfieldMama:

Here is the link with the recipe I used.  It says that others use it in HE washers with no trouble.  One change I made is switching from Fels Naptha soap to Dr. Bonner's Lavender soap because Fels Naptha isn't safe for septic systems, and we have a septic system.  This made the detergent smell like lavender, which I love, but I want it to smell a bit stronger, so I'm going to add some lavender essential oil next time.  I'm like you; it needs to smell good. :)

As for how it works, we tried it on my husband's dress shirts that were starting to look a bit dingy.  I've washed them with Tide before and it helped a bit, but not a ton.  I washed them with the homemade detergent on Sunday, and they look brand new!  Really, it's amazing!  It works so much better than Tide.  I love it, and we're going to save so much money!

bethatperson
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I started shopping online for my household products and get a discount from the store prices. Plus, I get free stuff. I also get cash back percentages from different stores online. I do use coupons now. I print them off from the krazycouponlady.com. I try to buy what is on sale at the grocery stores and use a coupon too. If you buy several with coupons, it really helps.

Would you like to work from home? www.livinganne.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN