Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

NO respect

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have worked graveyards (11p to 7a ) for seven years. I never get enough sleep. My ex was the worst. Id lay down at 10am and he would be nagging me to get up by 3pm asking me if im going tto just sleep all motherf**king day. Yeah, he is a jackass ....note the ex part. My Dh is way better, he wakes me at 4p wanting to see if i am awake.....so do the kids? How do you get your family to understand that you need more than that?? Anyone else in similar situation? Noone goes to bed at 10pm and wakes at 3am.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I worked nights, long ago. I was young and immature, but I actually called every friend and family member in the middle of the night one night. When they frantically asked what was wrong, I chuckled and said, "we'll I'm just like you, I assume that since I am awake, you must be too." I would sometimes even ask the, the same thing they had previously woken me up for." I got a lot more sleep after that, but it wasn't a very nice thing to do.

In my house, it would be a rule, enforced with a consequence personally, "if I am awoke before 6 pm, on these days, you will have to........" It's not healthy to be that sleep deprived. I would have a heart to heart with DH, for his support.

I hope you get more sleep!
tapies2324
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
You lived my fantasy. I would love to just wake the ex at all hours for a simple "wtf are you doing? You gonna sleep all night? You've been asleep since midnight?" Honestly, i just wanna set his balls on fire. He respected NOTHING but himself and his mama. My dh is way different. He is a work at home dad. I know he is lacking in adult companionship and wants me awake for that reason. Id be cool with goingg to bed at 2p and waking at 9....all i need is unbroken sleep. Thanks for the empathy...just need to vent a bit. I look iin the mirror and see an old lady. Im only 35...i look 40!!! I know it is lack of sleep and stress.
Monkeymama930
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I have s similar problem different time. I turn my phone off. Lock the doors and sleep. I have told everyone this is when I sleep. So don't bug me furring these times. Some people get it some don't.
tatinbriansmom
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I work the same shift during spring, summer and fall. I would get home and sleep from about 10-2 and then would get up and do what ever needs to be done then go to sleep after dinner until 10pm. Good luck! I know how hard it can be.
HotJerZMama
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM
My man works the night shift - 10pm - 7am so I definitely get it. During the week when he comes home he'll stay up to about 9am so he's around when my son is getting ready to leave for school. Then he sleeps until around 6-7pm and is up for dinner with the family and stuff until he leaves. Now even though he doesn't have work on Saturday and Sunday night, his body is still on the same schedule so he still sleeps for most of the day. When my son asks why daddy can't play with us I just explain that daddy is really tired and needs to sleep because he works when we are sleeping. I know it sux but my son seems to understand and will even "tuck daddy in" in the morning when he goes to bed. So I know how hard it is and I also know how it sux being the ones on the "normal" schedule wanting more time with your loved one that works nights. As long as everyone knows and understands why you're doing it- to provide for your family- it should work out. Good luck!!
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM

My husband works nights. He goes to bed around 8am and gets up around 4pm. We don't wake him throughout the day or early unless he asks us to b/c he has an appointment or something like that. I honestly would prefer that he just set an alarm clock like everyone else does, lol. 

I would discuss the situation with your husband and ask that you are not disturbed, unless it's an emergency, until whatever time you would like to sleep til.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My dh works the same schedule so I know how you feel. He goes to bed anywhere between 9am and 1pm (depending on how bad his insomnia is that day) I try not to wake him up before 7 unless he asks to be woken up earlier. On the weekends he keeps the same schedule so ds and I usually go to the park or do quiet crafts. Sometimes we'll go to my sil's so ds can play with his cousins.

My bro was horrible about calling me at 8 am when I worked 2nd shift. He couldn't understand why I didn't go to bed until 3 or 4 am. I looked at him and asked, "You don't go straight to bed when you get home from work, so why should I?" Some people just don't understand how things work when we work a shift other than the "normal 9-5"

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Well, I go to bed around 10, get up a few times a night with DD (she's 2 and just doesn't sleep well), get up at 5 or earlier if DD is up earlier.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM
My brother and sister work nights. My brother often threatens to kill my son because he wakes him up a lot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)