Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How do you..

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I work 8 hours, but I work a split becuase I work in a dept where there are only 2 people and I work in the evenings.  So here is my problem, after getting up at 6am by noon, I am so completely exhausted from getting my son up and off to school to staring at numbers and reports for 4 hours. I know what a big baby. 

But my problem is I cannot keep up with my house, It drives me insane.  Last night I went upstairs and there was TRASH in the hallway, I rarely go up there but I was like OMG, seriously, you know candy wrappers, ect. Then the other day I am cleaning, and my husband as food on the side of the couch, I can't even beging to tell you how long its been there.

I will be honest looking outside in my house looks clean but its these things that I never get too, the upstairs bath, or the boys bath. Its tough for me, and you would think that having 4 hours between work shifts I would get it done.

I don't . When I get off work I go to the gym, then I am soooooooo tired I take a nap, then I go and get my son from school, then I make dinner and go back to work. So for the moms that can do it, how do you do it???? Because I wanna be like you and get this stuff done, because I have zero help here its up to me and I wanna get it done!

juggling

**UPDATE** So I found this app, I found this app on my ipad called HomeRoutines, so I am gonna try it out and see if this works, it puts your house in zones so every 1-3 days you can focus on a zone while doing you 15 minute quick pick up...15 minutes ya right I need to change that. But I am gonna try this, see if this works.  I am glad to see I am not alone on this one.**

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I think first off you need to address the "no help" issue. There is no reason your DH can't help & the kids too if they're a little older.

In the meantime, once you get caught up (the hard part) it's not hard to stay caught up. I clean counters & the table immediateIy after dinner & run the dishwasher every night before bed & hand wash what doesn't fit. This way I wake up to a clean kitchen ' empty sink.

I throw a load of laundry in the wash in the morning, & switch it at noon or after work. The kids fold & put away their own clothes (most of the time).

Bathrooms, mopping & dusting is reserved for weekends (my days off) & vacuuming is done as needed usually after dinner.

Kids keep their rooms straightened up.

It works for me & doesn't take much time once you're caught up. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Everyone in the home who is able body needs to help.

Family meeting!!

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I agree with virginiamama71 - it is time for a family meeting!  Everyone need to pitch in at the "family" home.  (Things that are being left for you like picking up papers and plates of food is easy to do for virtually anyone!)

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM
After 5 years of struggling, I have the ultimatum to DH--he either helps more or I will hire outside help on a regular basis. In my opinion, unless you SO and family, helps, it is impossible.

Carrie, the cleaning lady, is our house blessing and now cleans my house every other week. I am training my DSs to keep it picked up between times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I'm going the direction of looking for someone to help. It feels like the bathrooms never get a second look and the kitchen floor needs mopped like crazy right now. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I have a husband that picks up the slack.  He may not do things to my standards, but if I can't do them, at least it gets done.  I keep the kitchen and bathrooms straightened up at all times.  It should never take more than 5 minutes to have my house looking good if we get an unexpected visitor. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I agree with everybody else ~ your family needs to step up and help you.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I need to get caught up but, like others have said, I don't do it by myself.  We had set chores for the girls to do after homework.  But, I'm thinking that before I leave for work, I'm going to write down 3-4 things that need to be done later that day so that each girl (i have 3) can pick one and the last thing can be done either by my husband or I (the other has to cook).  It's not going to clean everything but it will keep most things in order. 

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

i have been working on this - we are slowly gettting caught up. I spend 30 min a night cleaning something that doesn't ususally get cleaned off (table tops, front of refriderator etc) and then I divided things among the kids (5 and 7) I don't mess up the living room, so they are responsible for cleaning and vacuuming it every night. (I know it sounds like a lot, but it is really their toys, which they should clean up anyway)

I am behind in laundry -but I wash it and have the kids help fold towels. My husband is in charge of the kitchen. I can't/won't do it alone, so I have just had to divide the work. 

it is cleaner now than it has been in months and I still have lots to go. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN