Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Im SO torn :(

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 14 Replies
I am a store manager of an awesome salon i work 45 hours a week, close at least 2 nights a week not getting home until after 8:45pm, working every saturday from 10-6:30pm its getting to a point where somedays i go without seeing my kids all day till the next morning or i miss out on so much;( I am torn because I love my job but it seems not worth missing out on so much. I am thinking about opening my own shop where i will have a little more freedom to be with my family but its a little scary not having a set paycheck every week. I am looking for words of encouragement, opinions, or anyone that understands what im going through :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monkeymama930
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
My friend is co owner of a restaurant he loves it!!!!! He loves being the boss. He loves finally living his dream. But it's a lot of work! Some times more work then when he was just GM at his old job.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I have an acquaintance who opened her own salon, and her hours are far crazier than when she worked in one. 60+ hours/week.

So I would really look hard at your business plan prior to making a my big decisions.

Can you maximize your time with your children on your days off?

Good luck with your decision!
pambunce
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
My biggest thing is they are getting to an age where they are going to be involved with various activities and the job i have now there is absolutely ni wiggle room on having time off to go, if i own my own shop I can at least schedule my own appointments to not interfere with my kids games at least
stayathome510
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey, what are you waiting for?  My goodness, you could have the best of both worlds!  I am a stay at home mom, and guess what?  My kids are growing up right before our eyes.  I cannot remember the very last time I held my oldest, who is now 6 1/2 yrs. old.  You know, like when you're out and about and they need to be held as your walking through the mall on the way out to the car....I can't do that with him anymore, he grew up so fast.  Do not, do not let them grow up without you being there as much as you can, it is over before you know it!  In my opinion, we can go without a lot, I mean in the way of money, but your time with your children can never ever be replaced. Someday you will be able to work all the hours you want.......

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I agreed with those who said that if you open your own you may find yourself working even more hours than you are now just to please your clients who moved with you.  That being said, because you view the salon you work at as "awesome" I am guessing you have a pretty good relationship with the owner(s).  If that is true, before you venture out on your own, I would consider having a sitdown conversation with them and lay out exactly what you said here.  If they are as awesome the whole experience there is for you, I bit they would find some "wiggle room" so they don't see you leave them.  I really believe that would be worth the effort.  

pambunce
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Whats awesome about "them" is the concept of the franchise and I can imitate that anywhere. If I open my own I can set my pwn hours make appointments around my kiddos schedules plus they can come see me anytime. I think and feel like this would be the best thing for me and my family! One of my girls thats been doing hair for 10yrs as well wants to start this with me for the same reason!

Quoting allyn9:

I agreed with those who said that if you open your own you may find yourself working even more hours than you are now just to please your clients who moved with you.  That being said, because you view the salon you work at as "awesome" I am guessing you have a pretty good relationship with the owner(s).  If that is true, before you venture out on your own, I would consider having a sitdown conversation with them and lay out exactly what you said here.  If they are as awesome the whole experience there is for you, I bit they would find some "wiggle room" so they don't see you leave them.  I really believe that would be worth the effort.  

pambunce
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I know right, I have worked 40 hours or more since my oldest was born and she will be 8yrs old on the 17th of this month so I know she is fixing to be super busy with activities soon!

Quoting stayathome510:

Hey, what are you waiting for?  My goodness, you could have the best of both worlds!  I am a stay at home mom, and guess what?  My kids are growing up right before our eyes.  I cannot remember the very last time I held my oldest, who is now 6 1/2 yrs. old.  You know, like when you're out and about and they need to be held as your walking through the mall on the way out to the car....I can't do that with him anymore, he grew up so fast.  Do not, do not let them grow up without you being there as much as you can, it is over before you know it!  In my opinion, we can go without a lot, I mean in the way of money, but your time with your children can never ever be replaced. Someday you will be able to work all the hours you want.......

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

DH runs his own business, and while it does offer some flexibility, its not all roses. Things to consider:

1. How stable are you financially. If this doesn't work, can you handle it? Can you live off one income? The more you "need" the money, the more difficult and stressful it will be all around.

2. Hours are not always yours. For starters, running your own business can take far more time than working for someone else. Expect late nights and weekends if you take time off during the day. Second, there are times the business will still get in conflict and you will be more stressed than before. If you are supposed to take the kids, but now you have a client that needs to meet right then, you will be left scrambling. Do you have back up help? Third, with DH's business, if he's not working, he's not making money. That means no sick days, no paid vacation, no holidays. If the business is not open, you won't make money.

With that said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from opening their own business. However, realize what you actually have to put into it and what it will really take before you make the committment. Can you find somewhere else to go that would give you more flex time for now until your kids are older? Can you cut back your hours to make more time for your kids? There is a reason business owners are less common than workers....its a lot of work, a lot of energy and can reduce your flexibility. With that said, it can also be very rewarding in the end. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Good luck!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

My advice is to hold off on your own shop.  A lot of times, when you work for yourself, your hours are crazy and you end up working more, not less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN