Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new job problem

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM
  • 8 Replies
I am 50 yr old, just quit driving school bus after 10 years and took a job doing what I love - receptionist in Dr. Office. I was hired to work in one office. However, now that I've started, they occasionally send me to other offices to fill in when others are out. I don't like it, but I don't complain because I'm new. This costs me gas, but they don't take me off the clock when I'm traveling from the home office to the others. I want to carpool with a co-worker who lives right by me, but we are both new and afraid they'll get mad if we can't go to another location when they ask (which is always on spur of the moment). They don't pay us for gas and I only make $11/hour. Not much I know, but I accepted the pay because I was lucky to get the job (with so little experience). Question is: do I rock the boat and carpool and take the chance on making the boss mad when I am unable to help out at other locations?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lowencope
by Lucy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I wouldn't do that. Your employer needs u to rise to the occasion. You can write off your gas money on your taxes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I would inform him that you are carpooling, so if you'll have yo fill in, you'll need advanced notice.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Maybe you could talk to them and let them know that you're thinking about carpooling?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Discuss it with your boss.  Let them know what the problem is and your proposed solution (carpooling).  If you request advance notice, it shouldn't be so much of an issue.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are driving from one office to another office while you are clocked in, your employer is required to pay you mileage.

If you are scheduled to work mornings in one place, have a lunch break, then clock back in at a different location, the employer is not required to pay mileage or reimburse you for gas or anything. Your employer should not care how you get to work. If you want to carpool, they should have no problem with that. Just tell them that you are both trying to cut some costs and have decided to carpool. Should not be a problem at all.

virginiamama71
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I would talk to them about carpooling, gas prices are still too high for me.

sonyagm
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM
thanks. That information helped.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

If you are driving from one office to another office while you are clocked in, your employer is required to pay you mileage.

If you are scheduled to work mornings in one place, have a lunch break, then clock back in at a different location, the employer is not required to pay mileage or reimburse you for gas or anything. Your employer should not care how you get to work. If you want to carpool, they should have no problem with that. Just tell them that you are both trying to cut some costs and have decided to carpool. Should not be a problem at all.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM
You should be getting paid for mileage
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)