Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Shouldn't it be cheaper?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 20 Replies

I thought meal planning would save money.  I have spent twice would I would normally the last 2 weeks.  What am I doing wrong?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM

do you plan meals around what's on sale at the store?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Not really.  I planned around what my schedule will allow as far as time.  Like tonight is a quick dinner since I have class.  But I am buying the same kind of stuff, just with a plan.

Quoting leahbeah143:

iluvsn85
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I buy bigger cuts of meat when their on sale. Either I make 2-3 meals out of the same pkg or meat or I freeze some for another week. At one point I had so much exrra meat in the freezer I didnt have to buy it for a week or two. Also I add an extra side or extra veggies to the plate to save a little bit and make the meal last a little longer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Did you have to buy a lot of staples so you could have them on hand, or are you using.more meat?

Quoting deccaf:

Not really.  I planned around what my schedule will allow as far as time.  Like tonight is a quick dinner since I have class.  But I am buying the same kind of stuff, just with a plan.

Quoting leahbeah143:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I will try that.  I am trying to get just the amount of meat that we will use, since I don't want to waste it. 

Quoting iluvsn85:

I buy bigger cuts of meat when their on sale. Either I make 2-3 meals out of the same pkg or meat or I freeze some for another week. At one point I had so much exrra meat in the freezer I didnt have to buy it for a week or two. Also I add an extra side or extra veggies to the plate to save a little bit and make the meal last a little longer.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I have the staples, they stay in the house and get replenished as they run out.  The meat consumption is steady.  I had heard groceries were going up in cost, maybe that is what I am seeing?  I just don't get it right now.

Quoting calsmom62:

Did you have to buy a lot of staples so you could have them on hand, or are you using.more meat?

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting leahbeah143:

iluvsn85
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Also, for quick meals try to plan a big meal on Sundays so you can have left overs on Mondays or crockpot meals are nice too.

Quoting deccaf:

I will try that.  I am trying to get just the amount of meat that we will use, since I don't want to waste it. 

Quoting iluvsn85:

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM
As someone mentioned, matching meals to sales helps, but yes groceries are creeping up.

Quoting deccaf:

I have the staples, they stay in the house and get replenished as they run out.  The meat consumption is steady.  I had heard groceries were going up in cost, maybe that is what I am seeing?  I just don't get it right now.

Quoting calsmom62:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting leahbeah143:

christyg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It might seem like more because you spent it all at one time. You should notice the saving when you dont need to make a "quick stop" every few days and you aren't eating out.

campingmomof4
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I stock up on meats when they are on sale.  I freeze them in lb or package that I need for 1 meal.   Example we use 4 chicken legs for each meal.  I buy a family pack and can get 3 meals out of it when I freeze it.  

Then when I plan my meals I see what I have in the freezer and pantry and use those items in my meal plan first.  Then you just have to add to your grocery list the things you need to finish your meal plan. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)