Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

S/O - speaking of cheaper, who goes to Costco (or similar)?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 24 Replies

And what do you buy?

We used to have a membership to Sam's Club but it shut down in our area.  I want to get a Costco membership even though its about 20-25 minutes away (it would have to be a special trip) because it's no where I would normally go.  The problem is that my husband doesn't feel we should get one because we can get cheaper items at Walmart.  i agree for some things but, overall, I think I can go there and get several items in bulk at the beginning of the month and then sparingly go to the store the rest of the week.

I don't know.  What about you?  Do you have a membership to Costco?  How do you use it?  What do you normally buy?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM

We have the Executive Membership.  It is within walking idstance from our house (like anyone would walk to Costco, right?  Can you imagine the armload to carry?)

We get diapers cheapo (huggies 156 count size 5 for less than $40, Huggies wipes cheapo too!), milk, 2 gallons at once, string cheese, some of the sandwiches are really good, Christmas gifts or stuff for the house is a great buy.  Jumbo packs of refried beans (we go through a lot), soups, cereals, stuff like that that won't spoil quickly, will be easy to store, etc.  and the occasional fun thing for us.  Books, movies, clothes.  We have gotten TV's, Blu ray players, DH got me a sewing machine, his cigarettes, plants, all kinds of stuff for DD.

We use it A LOT!!

Timon6903
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Where we live almost everything is trucked or flown in, food prices are crazy. We go to sams club... We buy bulk items and then break it down into smaller amounts. Some things that I get are skinless/boneless chicken, cheese, berries/fruit, rice, spices I use a lot, peanut butter, and ketchup.

All of those are cheaper for us at sams club vs Walmart. If we had more storage space I would do more. As it is I break up the chicken into 2-3 pieces then freeze, I refill ketchup containers when empty, I keep rice in a container and just fill a mason jar full for available use with the cooking directions (measurements) taped to the jar.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

We have a Sam's membership but we don't go as often as we should. We usually just get diapers and wipes more than anything though.

christaberk
by Christa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I love Costco.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Timon6903:

Where we live almost everything is trucked or flown in, food prices are crazy. We go to sams club... We buy bulk items and then break it down into smaller amounts. Some things that I get are skinless/boneless chicken, cheese, berries/fruit, rice, spices I use a lot, peanut butter, and ketchup.

All of those are cheaper for us at sams club vs Walmart. If we had more storage space I would do more. As it is I break up the chicken into 2-3 pieces then freeze, I refill ketchup containers when empty, I keep rice in a container and just fill a mason jar full for available use with the cooking directions (measurements) taped to the jar.

Because it has been so long since I've been to a Sam's Club or Costco, a friend of mine is going to take me the next time she goes and i'm going to write down the cost of items that we would normally buy or things we could buy there and then compare the cost.  She does what you do.....buy bulk meat and separate them for several dinners. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I have a costco membership because work pays for it, but I hardly ever go because it's out of the way.

Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM
We are close enough we get our gas there, as well as meat, milk, eggs, some fruit, spaghetti sauce and salsa...we are out of diapers now so I don't buy them in bulk anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We are about 80 miles away from the closest Sam's club, and about 200 miles from Costco. I do have a Sam's membership though. When we go, I stock up. With all the kids, we go through a lot of everything. Some stuff is cheaper there, some stuff is not. I do buy TP, chickens (whole), butter, cereal, rice, juice...things like that. I also have a huge pantry in my kitchen, as well as an extra fridge and an extra upright freezer in the basement. so that helps with the stocking up.

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Yep!  I buy formula, diapers, wipes, rash ointment, deodorant, shampoo, spaghetti sauce, pasta, meat/chicken, soda--oh, lots and lots of things!

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
We have bjs in town, and Costco about half an hour away. Somethings save you money...
Diapers is one. We have been out of diapers for years but we do find kitty litter. Laundry detergent. bananas, milk, flour, sugar, lunch juices and snack packs are cheaper. The drawbacks are that they don't have as much variety..for example if I want progresso soup it comes in a bulkpack of chicken noodle and Italian wedding soup. No variety. Somethings they may carry only once. Meat is generally good, Costco has awesome meat and bakery, BTW, much better than bjs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)