Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

S/O - speaking of cheaper, who goes to Costco (or similar)?

Posted by   + Show Post

And what do you buy?

We used to have a membership to Sam's Club but it shut down in our area.  I want to get a Costco membership even though its about 20-25 minutes away (it would have to be a special trip) because it's no where I would normally go.  The problem is that my husband doesn't feel we should get one because we can get cheaper items at Walmart.  i agree for some things but, overall, I think I can go there and get several items in bulk at the beginning of the month and then sparingly go to the store the rest of the week.

I don't know.  What about you?  Do you have a membership to Costco?  How do you use it?  What do you normally buy?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Replies (21-24):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I probably should get a membership with so many people living with me right now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LFLucy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have had memberships at both.  Sam's Club is cheaper for the membership fees and their prices overall than Costco.  I usually go once a month and stock up on certain items. It helps if you have someone else who wants the same things and you can split them up between you.

Watch out for offers from either one that are too good to be true.  Many times the Advantage Memberships aren't offering you anything you can't get with a regular membership except extended hours.  Also, watch out for their promises that the more expensive membership with a credit card offer with it allows you up to a certain percentage back.  I was told I would get 2% of my purchases back, after spending thousands that year on appliances and flooring, besides the usually.  Those are not offered thru Costco and many members (myself included) have been scammed by them and lost those promised rebates.  It didn't happen and ended up filing a claim with the state and a class action suit against them. 

Although their meat is restaurant quality and I love it, it can be quite pricy compared to the grocery store.  You can find sales on meat at the grocery stores, but NOT at Sam's Club.  I usually look for marked down deals in the meat dept and take them home and freeze them if I do get any. You also have to remember that frozen foods should be eaten within six months. 

Some items that come in bulk are just too much for us as there is only three of us now.  I have no place to store much of it like cases of certain food, toilet paper and other things.  I can get the same things in bulk, but less items in their packaging at Target or Walmart.  I have been planning on buying a small deep freezer to buy more frozen items as I can never have enough frozen breakfast sandwiches or quick meals. 

bethatperson
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

We have a membership to Sam's Club and my boyfriend does like to shop there. Myself, I can take it or leave it though. Some of the items are a little cheaper if you buy it there but I don't really like buying in a huge bulk amount. And the items take up so much room too. I buy online from another company and get all my products at a discount. They are cheaper than at the store and healthier for you too! It's a Win- Win!

Would you like to work from home? www.livinganne.com

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No Costco here for me; I belong to Sam's Club.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN