Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Child care on a budget

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

So when I found out I was pregnant I freaked out because I didn't know what I was going to do about childcare since both I and my husband work full-time to make ends meet.  My family has been wonderful about helping out, but sometimes It's really hard bouncing my baby between people and I don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of them... Any suggestions?  What can I do to make it up to them?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I went with a home daycare.  We interviewed several people...and had to go through a couple of people....to find the right fit.  To this day, I absolutely love them even if my girls are no longer going to them (they are school age).  They are like family and take care of them as if they were.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM
If you both work full time, you should have money budgeted for childcare. Maybe, if you have family who love to take your child, you could put the baby in childcare three days aweek, and let family do it two days aweek. That give Family a break, baby some new socialization and you won't be taking as much advantage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I suggest a in home daycare but parttime now while you still have the help from family, but if they do not mind caring for the baby, than enjoy that its family caring for the baby and try to set aside money just in case you do have to use a daycare.

flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I have my DS in daycare 3 days a week. The other two my aunt watches him. I pay her $3 am hour and she's been doing it since I went back to work 3 years ago. That the rate I was paying an in home sitter to watch him. When my mom watches him often I'll give her a grocery gift card bc my DS likes to eat all her food and he won't let me pay her.
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM

If the question is how do you get cheap daycare, then I would agree with part time and look into a home daycare. If the question is how to make your family feel appreciated for what they do, what about baking them something once a week. Say you make like 5 loaves of banana bread and give some to everyone who watches your kid. Or offer to do something for them. Say, do laundry or clean, or pet sit, or??  Have your LO create crafts just for them in the time you are home and bring them as presents. Take them to dinner once a month. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I know when we took care of my SD's oldest for a while, it wasn't really an imposition.  We loved spending time with him.  It was only 1 day a week that she needed us, though, and it was a day we were both off work.  If you are worried about taking advantage, ask them if they feel like you are.  Most people will be honest and tell you.  If they say no, get them a small token to say thank you.  A gift card to starbucks, a scented candle, something like that.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I agree about finding a home daycare part time. You can always make things for your family to show your appreciation. Sometimes the littlest things make the biggest difference.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Give them a gift card at the end of the month, bake for them, tell them how much you appreciate them, do favors for them
allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

When my son was quite young and hub and I were both working, my mom took care of him (because she asked to).  While she wouldn't let me pay her, I regularly put money aside and bought her things I knew she would appreciate.  Over the 5 years she watched him before he started school, I was able to "gift" her with a new washer and dryer, a loveseat and end table she coveted (her words), a trip to visit her best friend in Florida, and countless "little" things.  The cost of daycare for me would have been much higher and I knew both my son and mom truly enjoyed their special time together! (...especially when she let him out of her sight for just a few moments when he was about 1 1/2 and he made "snow" in his room by emptying an entire can of powder in just minutes! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN