Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apartment Flooding....

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 11 Replies

I had just sent my son to school about 30 minutes before.  I heard a strange noise coming from one of the walls.  I stepped over to listen.  I couldn't figure out what the noise was.  It sounded like water, but from where?  After about 5 minutes, I figured it out, mostly because the cat was sniffing at the water on the floor.  I looked up, and there was a 3 foot line in the ceiling where water was dripping through.  It wasn't a slow leak at this point either.  I woke up my husband, and moved our very large trash can underneath the worst of the water.  I could hear more water running and looked in our little laundry closet and water was pouring from the ceiling in there was well.  I went up to the neighbor's apartment and knocked.  I could hear her, but she wouldn't answer the door.  I got pissed, and came back downstairs to make sure my husband was up.  He was.  We both went up, but he kinda hung back.  This time, I cop knocked on her door.  I think I scared her.  Anyways, she was on the phone with maintenance, and was trying to get the water hookups turned off to her washer, which is where the leak was coming from.  I just wanted to make sure she was aware of the leak, not to scare her.  Anyways.....I have one of the maintenance guys on my FB page.  I messaged him, then called the emergency hotline for the complex and left a message.  They called me back and said the apartment manager was letting maintenance know and someone should be there shortly.  About 40 minutes later, my friend shows up.  The other guy never showed, and he lives in the complex.  My friend lives 30 minutes away.  And he's pissed that the other guy never showed.  The neighbors loaned us their carpet cleaner, since some of the carpets got wet.  I have work tonight (yay) and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any sleep because of this mess.  And I sure as hell didn't sleep last night.

So how is everyone else's day?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Sorry.  That sucks!  The complex should take care of getting the majority of the mess cleaned up, as well as any damage or moving expenses if they need to switch apartments.  They won't take care of any personal property, though.  I hope it all gets taken care of quickly!!!

BelindaDuvessa
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Thankfully, no personal property seems to be damaged.

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yuck! I agree with Decca about the complex taking care of getting the mess cleaned up. I hope they do something for you guys since it wasn't your fault.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Wow!  That's awful!  Hope it gets taken care of soon!

Years ago we lived in a 100 year old huge house that had been converted into a duplex (we were on the left and it was 2 stories).  Anyway, in the middle of the night we heard this HUGE crash - thought someone was breaking in.  DH and I ran downstairs and as it turned out the living room ceiling - which was basically the floor of our son's bedroom upstairs - had caved in.  There wasn't much left holding up my son's bed so I ran upstairs to get him out of there.

Called the landlords and they said they'd "get to it" when they could.  Took them a couple days to show up, and it was obvious that there had been a water problem previously that they just covered up rather than fixed - which finally gave way causing this mess.

When they showed up to "fix" it - they just covered it up again.  Didn't replace the rotten wood - just slapped up a few new pieces and drywalled over it.

We moved out a few months later - and on the day of the move out it was pouring rain - and it was coming THROUGH the roof, and essentially raining on the stairs as we were trying to move out.  What a mess and glad we got out of there!

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
That's horrible! It's ridiculous that the other guy never showed up. I hope nothing is ruined.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I'm glad none of your stuff got ruined. I'd definitely be making the complex clean up the mess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

That stinks. I hope your day got better!

2curly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

So sorry, that stinks. I hope everything gets fixed soon. What a pain

BelindaDuvessa
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Well, I woke up for work to find that the carpet cleaners had been and gone.  They have us drying the carpet with a fan, then they will replace the spongey thing underneath tomorrow.  I haven't talked to the manager about the ceiling and walls.  I have 4 children, 2 of them very young and can't afford to have any of them around any mold that decides to grow.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Oh ugh. I hope things settled down and you were able to get some rest, and get things fixed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)