Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How many jobs do you have?

Posted by   + Show Post

In this economy the more traits you have the better, but how many is too much? How do you balance home and work with multiple jobs?

I was working way too much in order to support my family. I did house painting gigs, baked birthday and wedding cakes, did daycare, cleaned houses, managed home rentals for other home owners, cleaned my kids school, did drywall and other maintenance work, sold Norwex (which is an amazing product, but it just wasn't fun for me), and anything else that came up. I over scheduled myself and spread myself too thin. My husband was getting upset we had no routine anymore (clearly it was really because he had to do more around the house), my kids even started getting out of control.

I finally realized it wasn't worth it anymore. I cut out the daycare first. OK to be honest the lady was two months past due on paying me because I'm a push over. That one was easy. But I couldn't say no to any extra income. A friend knew I was stressed out and invited me to a Spa Night at her house. It was amazing! 6 stressed out women all sitting on couches getting real spa treatments. I was in Heaven. Yep, You guessed it I was suckered into signing up for that extra income too. And yes, my husband wanted to kill me. But you know what? It's been great! I have cut out all jobs except doing Cakes and this mobile spa business, and I'm making more money and spending more time at home. I get to have fun and look and feel great too.

So what is it that you do? How much is too much? How do you balance?

EDIT: I've recieved multiple messages asking what spa company I signed up to do. The company is called BeautiControl, it's been around for 31 years years and was just named one of America's top company's. I'll keep answering questions through messages, but if you want to check out the company here's my page, www.beautipage.com/carriegentry Thank you too for the supportive messages =)

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I just have the one full-time job. It's about 45 hours a week but that's plenty with 4 kids at home. My job is very flexible so if I need to cut out early or take 3 hours off in the middle or go to my kid's Valentine party at school, it's no big deal. I love that. But I don't want to take on any more jobs. Luckily my husband and I both earn enough that I don't have to work more than 1.

maria1613
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I have one job but I am also interning for school. It's pretty overwhelming but somehow I manage. But near the end of my semester, between work, school, interning, and home life, one might say I'm a crazy lady lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bethatperson
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Well, let's see! I work full time (40 hrs) currently at an office, plus I, too, have a home based business. Right now I am putting quite a bit of time into the home biz so I can quickly build it up enough that I won't be working outside the home anymore. That will be Awesome!! I am moving in a few weeks so I already know I will be leaving my job anyway. My home biz is a Great company and it really helps a lot of families. And we all can use the help! :-) I suggest it to everyone out there to take a look and see how it can help you too. Even if you do not want to do it as a biz, just being a customer can save you so much money off of your regular household products and get those cancer-causing chemicals out of our homes. I used to do home parties for Pure Romance, which is a whole lot of fun, but when I moved to a new state I had a tough time meeting new people.  That Spa Night sounds like a really nice relaxing time to spend with friends. Sounds Great to me!   It is really tough when we spread ourselves too thin and try to do too much on a continual basis. We are already expected to take care of so much in the home. I am looking forward to leaving my job and just doing the home biz..

Would you like to work from home? www.livinganne.com

Josie_P
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

One and then I occasionally do some freelance writing.

christyg
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my "main" job thats 60 hrs/week, and I work a 2nd job 24 hrs/weekends, I am also taking online classes. Im tired!!

virginiamama71
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

just one

I did have a 2nd job on the weekend years ago but it was too much working 7 days a week. After I did what I needed the 2nd job for (extra money to start savings) I gave it up and hopefully will not have to do a 2nd job again.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I work 2 jobs, but they fit nicely together. I teach nurse practitioner students full time, then I practice as a nurse practitioner part-time. I am a good instructor because I practice, and I am a good NP because I teach and am always up to date.  I still probably work 50-60hours/week. 7-9 hours during business the week, then I work at home from 8-11ish pm after my kids are in bed 7 days/week.

I balance as you can see, by essentially have little me time, no date nights, no TV time. I am either working or with my family.

But really I feel very blessed to have such an opportunity, my education, and income. It is probably too much, and at some point I'm going to have to cry "uncle" but until then, I just keep walking along singing my song, lol.

layman75
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I have two. One is 40 hrs a week, the other is my Mayor job and that can be 10 to 50 or more hours a week. The pay sucks too for it, it figured it out to about 0.40 per hour lol. Right now it is a lot of juggling but my term is over at the end of May next year. My family is looking towards it being done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2curly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I only have the one job now working about 45-50 hours a week. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I work a full time job, run my own business and help with DH's business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN