Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How many jobs do you have?

Posted by   + Show Post

In this economy the more traits you have the better, but how many is too much? How do you balance home and work with multiple jobs?

I was working way too much in order to support my family. I did house painting gigs, baked birthday and wedding cakes, did daycare, cleaned houses, managed home rentals for other home owners, cleaned my kids school, did drywall and other maintenance work, sold Norwex (which is an amazing product, but it just wasn't fun for me), and anything else that came up. I over scheduled myself and spread myself too thin. My husband was getting upset we had no routine anymore (clearly it was really because he had to do more around the house), my kids even started getting out of control.

I finally realized it wasn't worth it anymore. I cut out the daycare first. OK to be honest the lady was two months past due on paying me because I'm a push over. That one was easy. But I couldn't say no to any extra income. A friend knew I was stressed out and invited me to a Spa Night at her house. It was amazing! 6 stressed out women all sitting on couches getting real spa treatments. I was in Heaven. Yep, You guessed it I was suckered into signing up for that extra income too. And yes, my husband wanted to kill me. But you know what? It's been great! I have cut out all jobs except doing Cakes and this mobile spa business, and I'm making more money and spending more time at home. I get to have fun and look and feel great too.

So what is it that you do? How much is too much? How do you balance?

EDIT: I've recieved multiple messages asking what spa company I signed up to do. The company is called BeautiControl, it's been around for 31 years years and was just named one of America's top company's. I'll keep answering questions through messages, but if you want to check out the company here's my page, www.beautipage.com/carriegentry Thank you too for the supportive messages =)

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I work 3 jobs and 7 days a week. It sucks because I'm always exhausted and don't spend enough time with ds. When I am home I do all the cooking and tons of cleaning.

CWGCAG02
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM

It's too bad you probably don't live by me...sounds like you could use a free spa night! =)

Quoting Marti123:

I work 2 jobs, but they fit nicely together. I teach nurse practitioner students full time, then I practice as a nurse practitioner part-time. I am a good instructor because I practice, and I am a good NP because I teach and am always up to date.  I still probably work 50-60hours/week. 7-9 hours during business the week, then I work at home from 8-11ish pm after my kids are in bed 7 days/week.

I balance as you can see, by essentially have little me time, no date nights, no TV time. I am either working or with my family.

But really I feel very blessed to have such an opportunity, my education, and income. It is probably too much, and at some point I'm going to have to cry "uncle" but until then, I just keep walking along singing my song, lol.

CWGCAG02
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

You sound just like I was, take it from me...take some time for yourself!

Quoting cjsmom1:

I work 3 jobs and 7 days a week. It sucks because I'm always exhausted and don't spend enough time with ds. When I am home I do all the cooking and tons of cleaning.

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Yep, I only have one job, but it's 50 hours a week, that is ENOUGH. :)

Quoting woliung8153:

I only have one job at a office for over the phone customer service. One is enough I work 44 hours a week

MayMommy07
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I have two part time jobs now. One I have been at for 5 1/2 years and the other 2 months. I am on day 9 out of 14 straight! I am starting to feel a little burned out. Wish I could do one with 40 hours set days off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
woliung8153
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I could not imagine adding a second job to all the hours of my first job.

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Yep, I only have one job, but it's 50 hours a week, that is ENOUGH. :)

Quoting woliung8153:

I only have one job at a office for over the phone customer service. One is enough I work 44 hours a week

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Medusa686
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I have one FT job and that is hard to juggle even with one dh and 1 kid.  Working on my starting my own business and do that after work and weekends, its tough. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I have one job and go to school.  There are times I feel spread too thin, but I keep telling myself it's just temporary.

emry10
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I have one job but I work between 50-60 hour a week during the school year. I also go to school and that kind of feels like another job. 

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I do ... almost nothing except what I want to do now.  (I am a retired school adminsitrator who still "works" as a consultant to a local school district, but only when I want to.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)