Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I am absolutely LIVID.  My 8th grade son just started Character Ed.  It's a required 7 week class that rotates out to other required 7 week classes throughout the year.

Anyway.  It's CHARACTER ed.  That would lead you to believe they'll be taught how to build good character, be good citizens, people, etc.  wouldn't it?

So, what does my son tell me this morning?  In CHARACTER ed class they watch TV shows.  Guess which ones??

Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory!

I'm sorry.  But those are NOT appropriate shows to show in SCHOOL to 13 YEAR OLDS.  They promote unhealthy views on sex and relationships, and they sure as hell DON'T inspire those watching to improve their character!  At best they are a "what not to do" kind of lesson - but once they have seen/heard/been exposed to that SHIT, they can't un-see/un-hear it.

We restrict what our son is allowed to be exposed to.  We're not stupid.  We know he hears a lot of bad stuff at school, and we know he's going into high school.  However, our son TALKS to us.  When he hears inappropriate stuff at school he TELLS us about it and we talk through our viewpoints on it, clarify misunderstandings, etc.

Many 8th graders aren't innocent - which is sad - but OURS still has some innocence left.  He's not at all interested in dating, and he actually skips through the "sex" parts of any shows we DO happen to let him watch (like The Office) because he says he doesn't need to see that.

We're TRYING to raise our son right - and then he's forced to watch shows of Charlie Sheen banging every slut he encounters?!  Seriously?!

So, I called and left a scathing message on voice mail for the teacher.  I demanded that my son be given an alternate activity and I demanded an explanation.  We'll see if he responds.

---------------------------------------

I made a reply but also thought I'd update here:

Wow!  I didn't expect so many responses!

First off - thank you so much to all of you who supported me.  To those with differing viewpoints, thank you to *most* of you for being respectful in expressing your viewpoints.

Secondly, things are turning out well.  I did talk with the teacher, who did not act as though I "overreacted" and even agreed with me that you can't "un-see" what you've seen.  He wouldn't change his curriculum, however he did provide an alternate activity which teaches the same lesson for my son to research and do in the library during class time.  Of course, this makes me wonder if THAT assignment (that my son is doing) is involving research, writing, etc. and still teaches the same lesson, WHY is it necessary for him to continue showing those shows to the rest of the class to teach the same lesson??  But, that's not my call.  So be it.

For those who feel I "shelter" my kids or that my son isn't as innocent as I believe he is, all I can say is - you don't know me or my family. 

My children have knowledge of the - as some of you put it the "realities" of life - at a level that is appropriate and explained to them by us...their parents.  I simply don't believe that it does anyone any good to be bombarded by those "realities" in a filthy TV show during school.  Additionally, shows like that don't show the other "realities" of life - such as waiting until marriage, monogamy, not needing to get drunk at parties, treating women with respect, etc.  It's all very heavily one-sided on the depravity and unhealthy realities - with little to no mention that there is another - better - way to live your life.

We have very open communication with our children.  They are comfortable coming to us about ANYTHING.  And they DO come to us about everything.  My 13 year old is uncomfortable with the huge amount of nasty cussing that goes on in the halls, and we talk about it and ways he can deal with it.  I wanted to discuss oral sex with him because it's something that kids his age are doing, and while we DID discuss it appropriately, he made a comment that he wishes we didn't because now that is "stuck" in his head and he really doesn't want to think about it.

He's a good kid and he KNOWS what he is or isn't ready for.  When he IS ready, I have every confidence that he will talk with me about it first.  And believe it or not, it actually IS possible to raise kids with morals that they will actually adhere to as temptation strikes - just ask me, my husband, or ALL of my college friends - all of us resisted temptation and a lot of that had to do with our upbringing, the expectations set forth on us by family, church, etc., and simply choosing to not expose ourselves unnecessarily to situations that could end up badly. 

If my sons ended up making the wrong choice - I KNOW they will come to me and we'll deal with it.  Some of you obviously think it's naive to believe that - but again - you don't know my family and how open we are with each other.

My son asked to see the email I sent (following the voicemail as many teachers don't check their voicemail).  It said pretty much everything I had said on the voicemail.  After he read it, he said "OK.  Sounds good".  He wasn't "mortified" and he was happy to go do his work in the library that hour...oh and I asked if any kids asked why he wasn't watching, and no one did - no one even cared.

So, in the end all is well.  My son and I have talked.  I asked if he understood WHY I was against him watching and he said because it shows casual sex and bad relationships.  He gets it.  All is well. 

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Photographic memory.  Sucks sometimes.  I also remember in vivid detail the news footage I watched in college of a nightclub burning down- had to watch it for a class.  What we watched wasn't aired because it was too disturbing.  

Quoting NewMamaBoo:

I saw many documentaries about the holocause in 6th grade. It's pretty crazy but luckily didn't haunt me

Quoting preacherskid:

Ugh.  I watch Big Bang, but after the girls go to bed.  Not something my girls need to see.  I agree the teacher should have made his plans known if they involved current tv- that is just courtesy in case the parents had an objection.  And I agree, once you see it it can never be forgotten- when in high school I watched a movie about the Holocaust called Escape From Sobibor, about one of the Nazi death camps.  Ten years later portions of it still stand out very clearly, and not in a great way.

CafeMom Tickers
NewMamaBoo
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Whoa, I could see how that memory could be great for many situations. But horrific for others! Sorry ma!

Quoting preacherskid:

Photographic memory.  Sucks sometimes.  I also remember in vivid detail the news footage I watched in college of a nightclub burning down- had to watch it for a class.  What we watched wasn't aired because it was too disturbing.  

Quoting NewMamaBoo:

I saw many documentaries about the holocause in 6th grade. It's pretty crazy but luckily didn't haunt me

Quoting preacherskid:

Ugh.  I watch Big Bang, but after the girls go to bed.  Not something my girls need to see.  I agree the teacher should have made his plans known if they involved current tv- that is just courtesy in case the parents had an objection.  And I agree, once you see it it can never be forgotten- when in high school I watched a movie about the Holocaust called Escape From Sobibor, about one of the Nazi death camps.  Ten years later portions of it still stand out very clearly, and not in a great way.

mmtosam06
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM
I wouldn't be happy either that is ridiculous
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Reality_check
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM
keep us updated!!! i can see how possibly they could use that show to teach them its in bad character/behavior. but still, very inappropriate!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM
5 moms liked this

I would have been concerned, but not livid.  I would have talked to the teacher, but not left a scathing message. I would want to understand the connection between the videos and the class.  My son is only 12 and in an advanced placement program.  They are debating the death penalty in class.  We talked about it at length and I think he is mature enough to handle it and we do the research together. 

I realize my kids will be exposed to certain things and yes, sometimes unnecessarily.   But, if you teach them how to handle those situations correctly and why it is or isn't wrong, it really shouldn't affect him much.

I cringed at the 5th grade health curriculim--11 years old (sex class).  But, I opted to allow my son to take it, talked to him about it afterwards, hubby had a heart to heart with him ahead of time and he's been just fine.

Jynnifer292
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM

What the hell is the purpose of it supposed to be?

Tay06
Amazing life <3
55 minutes ago
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:30 AM
5 moms liked this

Actually, some of those shows have pretty accurate viewpoints of how real relationships are.  People cheat, steal, and lie, and some of them are sluts.  Haha.  I would agree that I would be irritated that he's watching television at school, but there is nothing on Big Bang Theory a 13 year old boy hasn't already seen, heard or read about.  I've never seen 2 and a half men, so I can't really judge that one.

frstldyhmsch
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Way to go mom because that is some bull crap!!! How dare the "educational system" allow things like this to happen? Who know what else they are teaching! Thank God you have a great relationship with your son...you may be enlightening other parents in his school also....that is very disappointing!

Rlmama00
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM
9 moms liked this

I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as they weren't watching tv the entire 7 weeks. The teacher explained the class curriculum very well and I think it's a great opportunity for learning. Kids sometimes need to see not only what they should do, but also what they should not do. Honestly, if my mother had called the teacher over something like this at that age, I would have been mortified. 

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

It is completely bizarre that they would be showing those shows to 13 year olds.  When my sons were 13 they watched "iCarly" by preference...cmon now!!  Let 13 year olds be 13 year olds in peace...omg.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN