Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is your will situation?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

Morbid topic, I know.  But, I'm curious how many have you planned for the "what-if" if both you and DH/SO pass away? 

Life insurance?

Guardians?

Do the guardians get the full life insurance or do you have a financial advisor "in charge of" the money and doling it out?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

We both have our wills written, not filed.  He has an insurance policy his parents took out on him that will pay for any funeral expenses.  We have to wait for his SSDI and Medicare/Medicaid situation to get sorted out before we take out a life insurance policy on me- I am going to speak with our insurance agent on Tuesday and will see about quotes.  The girls have godparents who, in the unlikely event we both die before the girls are adults, will become their legal guardians and our life insurance policies will be set up so that they have a monthly income for the girls expenses until the girls are adults.  That will be something that will be set up in stone once I get an insurance policy going.

CafeMom Tickers
SRUsarahSC
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Yes we took care of that right away. Unfortunately, my husband's sister's husband has made it very apparent that he hates me, and he and the sister only have one child, a son, and cannot have any more. We have a DD and I don't want her raised by someone who doesn't like me.  We gave my brother and his wife legal guardianship and have they get all our assets, life insurance (we have over 2 million out, they will need a bigger house if they get ours and wind up having kids of their own) etc.  Only stipulation is that grandparents on both sides get her over the summers as long as they are capable of taking care of her.

Mireya926
by Mire on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

We both have Life Insurance, he has a will but, he needs to make some changes. I want to look into starting one for me. I learned it the hard way that after my mother passed away that that is as important as paying you taxes. My mother had properties but, she did not have a will now my only sister and I are stuck with dealing with that. We might loose the house in NC were my sister is at now. She had a house in Mexico and the only way we can claim anything is by changing the name in the owner ship papers and that is a whole new nightmare.

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM
My parents have a will, funeral plots bought, life insurance, etc. My in-laws refuse to discuss the matter & have made no plans. They feel it's "tempting fate" & I know we'll have a mess to deal with someday (they're in their 80's).

DH & I have everything pretty well planned out and alot of life insurance, etc. but we haven't picked out plots.

Quoting Mireya926:

We both have Life Insurance, he has a will but, he needs to make some changes. I want to look into starting one for me. I learned it the hard way that after my mother passed away that that is as important as paying you taxes. My mother had properties but, she did not have a will now my only sister and I are stuck with dealing with that. We might loose the house in NC were my sister is at now. She had a house in Mexico and the only way we can claim anything is by changing the name in the owner ship papers and that is a whole new nightmare.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mireya926
by Mire on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I have a spot for me, forgot about that part. When my mom Passed dad and I bought a dubble so I am covered.

Quoting the3Rs:

My parents have a will, funeral plots bought, life insurance, etc. My in-laws refuse to discuss the matter & have made no plans. They feel it's "tempting fate" & I know we'll have a mess to deal with someday (they're in their 80's).

DH & I have everything pretty well planned out and alot of life insurance, etc. but we haven't picked out plots.

Quoting Mireya926:

Josie_P
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
We both have life insurance and that's it. No wills yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nena70
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

DONE

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM

We both have life insurance. We have discussed who will take ds but we don't have anything in writing.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM
We both have life insurance, are getting our wills drawn up this year. I refuse to die until my kids are older because my oldest is from a previous relationship so if I pass they would be split up. :-( I would love to somehow make t so that my parents would be guardians for both but I don't think that's feasible. Although I know my mom would fight tooth and nail for custody of my oldest if I died.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christaberk
by Christa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
This. But we have yet to put our kids on ourpolicies

Quoting Josie_P:

We both have life insurance and that's it. No wills yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)