Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Today (2/11) is...

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

And here we go for Monday!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Be Electrific Day!!

No, I did not make that up. But I know who did, and that someone started Be Electrific Day back in 1998. She is professional speaker Carolyn Finch, and she defines electrific as:

"an abbreviation for an electrification project - which means to put light where light has not been before."

Now, one could take this definition as the genteel version of that old admonition, "put it where the sun don't shine," but it actually has a much more positive intent. 

See, February 11th is the birthday of Thomas Alva Edison: "The Wizard of Menlo Park," holder of 1090+ U.S. Patents, inventor and businessman, and founder of General Electric, among many other impressive accomplishments too numerous to list here. And, Mr. Edison brought light where light had not been before - electrically speaking, of course. Therefore, we have Be Electrific Day, so that we can celebrate not only this prolific inventor's birthday, but also - as Ms Finch's program suggests - "the electricity within each of us."

Well. I don't know about you, but most of the electricity within me lately is of the static variety. My family is more than a little annoyed. Shocked, really. But I don't see the problem. I'm just celebrating this Little-Known, twelve-year old holiday, you know? 

If I can do it, so can you. Go ahead! Get in the holiday spirit: scoot your stockinged feet across the carpet, scope out someone who looks a little energy depleted, and share your electricity within. 

But then you might wanna get ready to run...
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Pro Sports Wives Day

This national day of observance will give polite recognition to nearly a half million active and retired sports wives throughout the country for their public service in the estimated $213 billion professional sports industry. Unknown to the public, pro sports wives are the household managers and silent partners who keep their favorite athletes motivated, focused and determined to win and create the feeling of being a winner within us all. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

National Shut-In Visitation Day

National Shut-in Visitation Day is a day to recognize the simple joys that people miss when they can't leave their home, apartment or care center. Many people due to physical, emotional or mention causes lose the freedom most of us take for granted -- the ability to go for a walk or hike, go shopping or to visit a park. Use this day to give your time and attention to someone who could use a smile and a hug from a friendly face.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Satisfied Staying Single Day

Staying Single Day is a day that happy singles let everyone know that they are happy not being attached. Celebrate today by telling all those people that are always saying, "Are you ever going to get married" or "I have the perfect person for you to go out on a date with" know that you are totally satisfied flying solo. The best thing about being single is that you can use "your" money to buy yourself a great gift or to have a night out on the town.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

White Shirt Day

This holiday celebrates the men and women who participated in a strike at General Motors in 1937.  "These autoworkers helped the United Auto Workers (UAW) union to become the sole bargaining agent for General Motors autoworkers." As part of the symbolism of this strike, everyone wears a white shirt or blouse.

Note: This holiday started out as 'White Shirt Day' but some how over the years the title turned into White T-Shirt Day for those who didn't know the history of the holiday therefore created their own version of this day, giving birth to the title "White T Shirt Day" .  This holiday mostly celebrates the fun of wearing the ever so popular white t-shirt instead of what it was originally intended to celebrate.

Origin of this Holiday
According to the UAW's website, the traditions of the original White Shirt Day is as follows: 1) Everyone must wear a white shirt or blouse  2)Your white shirt must not get dirtier than your boss's shirt  3) Safety and work rules must be followed.

This holiday is referred to as a "National" day- However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate.  So enjoy the day and have fun with it.

The Oshawa Strike, 1937: by wikipedia encyclopedia
On April 8, 1937, disputes between 4000 assembly line workers and General Motors management led to the Oshawa Strike, a salient event in the history of Canadian trade unionism. As the weight of the Great Depression slowly began to lift, demand for automobiles again began to grow. The workers sought higher wages, an eight hour workday, better working conditions and recognition of their union, the United Auto Workers (Local 222). The then-Liberal government of Mitchell Hepburn, which had, ironically, been elected on a platform of being the working man's friend, sided with the corporation and even brought in armed university students to break up any union agitation. Fortunately, these much-derided "Hepburn's Hussars" and "Sons of Mitches" were never needed as the union refused to be drawn into any violent act. The union and workers had the backing of the local population, other unions and the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation, and on April 23, two weeks after the strike started, the company gave in to most of the workers' demands, although -- pointedly -- it did not recognize the union.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Clean Out Your Computer Day

When : Second Monday of the month

Clean Out Your Computer Day is a day to logically review, and delete old files and programs.

Most of us add programs and files to our computer with reckless abandon. After all, computers have huge storage capacity.  Many of these files and programs are forgotten over time. Overtime they clog memory and cause confusion during retrieval and use of other files. And, some may slow down your computer.

Somewhere along the way, a (most likely) computer geek or service person, created this day as an opportunity for us to remember to cleanup and delete old and unused files.

So, get into the spirit of the day, and clean out the old computer.

rissarin
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM
This is always fun.

Quoting deccaf:

Clean Out Your Computer Day is a day to logically review, and delete old files and programs.

Most of us add programs and files to our computer with reckless abandon. After all, computers have huge storage capacity.  Many of these files and programs are forgotten over time. Overtime they clog memory and cause confusion during retrieval and use of other files. And, some may slow down your computer.

Somewhere along the way, a (most likely) computer geek or service person, created this day as an opportunity for us to remember to cleanup and delete old and unused files.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I need to do this. I have stuff that's been backed up on the server in several different places lol.

Quoting rissarin:

This is always fun.

Quoting deccaf:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It's also:

Make a Friend Day

When : Always February 11th

Do you have enough friends? The answer should be no. No matter how many friends we have, more of them increases our wealth. That's because friends are one of life's valuable assets. 'Ya just can't have too many friends.

Make a Friend Day is a great opportunity to meet someone new, or do something to make a new friend. Making a new friend can be easier to do than you think. There must be a gadzillion ways to make new friends. It often helps by smiling and just being friendly or helpful.

Spend "Make a Friend Day" being just being friendly, and by doing special or nice things for others.

Oh, by the way.... I hope that you will be my friend!

http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/February/makeafriendday.htm

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Wow I've never heard of any of these
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)