Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Introducing myself

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I was reading about the mom who was concerned about the teacher doing the comparisons between tv shows regarding character development and see that I need to join the group to comment.  Well, heck yeah!  I'm in.

My child is a young adult now, supporting herself and in college 1/2 time.  Her teenage angst was the most painful thing we went through but, we survived and we are still connected.  Some say because we were so close the pulling apart had to be painful.. who knows... But she's an incredibly strong person and a beautiful young woman holding her own in the world - maybe not the way I wanted her to do it... but she's doing it none-the-less on her own terms.

I currently work for a federally grant funded research lab that develops self-management software for individuals with cognitive disabilities such as autism, Down syndrom, traumatic brain injury, the elderly, and more.  We peel off IP and package it under another name so we can bring some of the research in the form of tools to the market because people need it now.  It's rewarding work because we know we can help so many folks.

In my personal life, I'm a ski fanatic and one of the few women alpine ski patrollers so my winters are filled with days in the snow and helping people when they get hurt.. even when I'm not on duty, I find myself helping... I also work with a local ski shop where we charter buses with drivers and fill them with people and take them to the mountains to ski and play in the snow.  Some days we take as many as 350 people to the mountains... and bring them all home at the end of the day.  I train all the chaperones and assign them to oversee the patrons on the buses. Many of them are young teens whose parents trust us to bring them home... I advise all my chaperones to be the best role model they can be.

I live with a crusty old parrot that I've had for 27 years, a couple of rescue cats, a small rescue dog, and 4 chickens.. (Fresh eggs - yum!).  My home is modest and I'm happy... I try to savor each moment and...  when it all comes down to it.. I just try really hard to be the person my dog thinks I am... every day.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Hello! Welcome to the group!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Welcome and thanks for joining! I enjoy skiing even though I'm really bad it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Welcome to our little group!  You sound pretty busy!

flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Welcome to the group
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

welcome to the group

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Welcome! I'd love ur job
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Welcome to the group! Which mountain range are you close to?

mickstinator
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

You sound like an incredibly fun, intersting person. I'm glad to have you as a part of our group.

And as someone who recently went through the whole pulling away from mom thing, I understand on a level what you've gone through. My mother and I had a few rough years when I was trying to find myself and she was trying to figure out how to be a mom to an adult, but our relationship is better now than it has ever been. 

vstil
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I'm in the Pac NW - in Oregon - The Cascades is the local mountain range... but I ski up and down the coast. It's truly my therapy because I focus on the moment and come home physically exhausted... I sleep like a baby! lol  Every Sunday I also take a busload of folks in the special olympics who ski and snowboard.  They have so much fun.  

vstil
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Thanks Mickstinator, I'm glad to be here too.

Oh, when my squidlette cut her apron strings.. I thought I was going to die - literally.  My heart was broken... and to this day is still affected to some degree.  It took us a few years to even speak but we made it and while I'm a mom to an adult, we have the opportunity to be more friends instead of a parent/kid relationship.  She's a dynamic young woman with great aspirations. She's a realist and has a good heart.  She has great considerations for her friends and her work ethic surprises me... she hates to miss work or put someone out because she's not where she needs to be.  Those traits make me feel like I gave her some sort of foundation that works for her. I think that's one of the most important pieces of parenting... is what you teach your child going to make their lives better as they grow up?

And as she matures.. I hear things that make me smile.. like how her new roommate is good at picking up after herself.. My kid tells me.. "gawd, it's the pits having to pick up after someone all the time, particularly when I just cleaned up... but it's so much nicer when it's all clean."  I giggle quietly to myself because she was so messy as a kid, and I know she'll put everything together one day.  

I'm glad you and your mom have it worked out too... mom's are pretty special - I know mine is.

Quoting mickstinator:

You sound like an incredibly fun, intersting person. I'm glad to have you as a part of our group.

And as someone who recently went through the whole pulling away from mom thing, I understand on a level what you've gone through. My mother and I had a few rough years when I was trying to find myself and she was trying to figure out how to be a mom to an adult, but our relationship is better now than it has ever been. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)