Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Screen Time

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

How do you go about balancing screen time for your kids?  TV, videos, games etc... Do you limit?  Do you care?  Do you avoid?

We don't have a strict policy in place for limitation (i.e. tech tickets or anything) as long as they are showing good balance in their activities - playing, schoolwork, etc...  But sometimes when I have downtime I'd like to sit and watch a movie with them or play a game rather than chasing them on their bikes or doing something that's probably more healthy for them.  Is that such a bad thing...  I'm wondering if we should start something more formal for their time, or if I shouldn't worry about it too much because they're good kids!

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM

They aren't allowed to play on school nights. I don't really set a hard limit for weekends - when I feel it's been enough I just say so. They immediately turn it off, no whining, no questions.

As for content, it's whatever I feel they can handle. My 13 year old has age appropriate games his grandma got him that he feels are too violent so he doesn't play them. They're all pretty good about things like that.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM

7pm is when they can turn on TV but ONLY IF their homework is done and their chores are done.  If its done before that, they can find other things to do.  If its taking longer, TV time waits until they are. 

I can't wait until the time changes because they are more likely able to find something to do before 7pm if they are outside.

christaberk
by Christa on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not particular,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom23Littles
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

This is a really interesting system - I'm kind of liking the idea behind it and how easy it would be to implement.

Quoting M4LG5:

7pm is when they can turn on TV but ONLY IF their homework is done and their chores are done.  If its done before that, they can find other things to do.  If its taking longer, TV time waits until they are. 

I can't wait until the time changes because they are more likely able to find something to do before 7pm if they are outside.

Mom23Littles
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad to hear someone else isn't particular as well - I feel like I get judged if someone asks and I don't tell them I have some plan to control it...

Quoting christaberk:

I'm not particular,

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I like it.  This way, none of us watch TV during dinner and it makes them follow through on their chores without whining about it.  We have had this in place for 2 years so they are okay if I say "no" when its 6:50pm. 

Quoting Mom23Littles:

This is a really interesting system - I'm kind of liking the idea behind it and how easy it would be to implement.

Quoting M4LG5:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I "try" to have no screen time (gaming, tablet, or TV) at all in the evenings M-Th. I try to limit it to 2 hours on other days. as that is what is medically recommended. in fact I just reading a study that showed even just binge watching on the week-ends establishes habits that dramatically increases risk for obesity. I found that crazy!! But it is hard, especially in the winter time or when I am not feeling 100%. I think all families are probably a little different and you know what is working or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Tracy on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I don't care at this point. DS is 3 so he's really active. There are times when I encourage a show or movie bc I'm exhausted lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My kids are 2 and 5. Honestly, I need 30 minutes of TV/compuer time when we get home to help me get dinner on the table. They seem to appreciate some zone out time too. Usually they get 2 shows on weeknights (during the winter, when it's warmer, we are all outside more). Weekends, I just play it by ear. Once DS1 gets in school we will likely have more rules (like homework/chores done), but he's good about turning it off when I say he's had enough. 

This time of year, I start beating myself up about it a bit because we are all having a bit of cabin fever and I am ready for us to do something else.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

We don't really have a limit, but ours is 3 so he doesn't spend much time sitting. Even if the TV is on, he doesn't watch much. He's already significantly ahead of the curve in most areas, so I don't feel a little age appropriate TV will hurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)