Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

What age would you let your kid alone in the bath?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
  • 18 Replies

My 3 yo likes to play in the bath with her toys for half hour or so over weekends.  Wonder if it is too early to let her play by herself in the bath.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I haven't yet, but she's only 2.  I sit there while she plays.

Shanea
by New Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have an almost 5 year old & an almost 2 year old. My oldest just started getting in the tub with out me having to sit next to her. I do walk in to check on her about 100x lol!

mickstinator
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I have a 5 year old and 2 year old. When my 5 year old was close to 4, I started walking around the house while he was in the tub (and frequently checking on him). Once they're big enough to really never have a problem with slipping down and drowning in a few inches of water, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't let my 2 year old yet, but might consider it soon when he's bathing at the same time as the 5 year old.

momofthree929
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don't remember how my boys were when they started bathing with out full supervision. I would say anything before 5 or 6ish probably need to keep an eye on them.One of my boys fell asleep in the tub when he was I guess 5 or 6ish probably maybe even a bit older so I banned them from baths. Scared the crap out of me. I guess I'm just parinoid since then.

sarahfire
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Depends on what you mean by "alone"

If you mean she is in there for 30 min with no one checking on her or within earshot, then no I don't think 3 is a good age.

If you mean well you just step out for a few minutes, then go back and check on her and can still hear her, then I would be ok with that.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Around 5-ish. I still make my 6 year old leave the door open if he's taking a bath so I can easily look in. Of course he doesn't like that, so now he just takes showers. He mostly does that on his own but sometimes needs help rinsing his hair.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christyg
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This is what I was thinking too. If its a 2-story house, then obviously stay on the same level. But I dont see anything wrong with stepping into a bedroom to put away toys or hang up clothes, as long as you can hear her at all times and occasionally peek in to check on her.

I used to claen the bathroom when they were in the bath, multitasking :)

Quoting sarahfire:

If you mean she is in there for 30 min with no one checking on her or within earshot, then no I don't think 3 is a good age.

If you mean well you just step out for a few minutes, then go back and check on her and can still hear her, then I would be ok with that.

lowencope
by Lucy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM
My four year old does I don't remember when it started. His brother is 7 so he likes to do what he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I will walk away while DS plays so I can get things done. I always keep a half ear on him and stay close. Its not deep enough for him to drown, and I've seen him swallow water wrong whether I'm there or not. He knows what to do if he does. He turned 3 in December.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I agree with this 100%

Quoting christyg:

This is what I was thinking too. If its a 2-story house, then obviously stay on the same level. But I dont see anything wrong with stepping into a bedroom to put away toys or hang up clothes, as long as you can hear her at all times and occasionally peek in to check on her.

I used to claen the bathroom when they were in the bath, multitasking :)

Quoting sarahfire:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN