Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Timing baby #2?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 26 Replies

So DH and I just recently moved to Florida from Michigan and I've only had my job for a little over a week now. We both work full time at the same place (he does aircraft maintenance and I work with the engineering department) and we're even lucky enough to work the same shift so we are able to drive in and drop our 2 year old daughter off together in the morning :) We have always wanted our children to be close in age and before we found out that we would be moving out of state, we were trying to conceive for a few months with no luck. Now that we are just getting established in a new state with new higher paying jobs, we don't know when the timing would be right to start trying again. I would feel wrong in a way if I were to get pregnant say this month and have to take 6 weeks off of work just 9 months after starting. I will have health insurance in 3 months and our lease at our apartment is over in November of 2013. Am I stressing too much about this or is there some sort of etiquette rule when it comes to getting pregnant while you're working full time?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I would say that you should plan for what works for your family.  If you think you can afford it, try now.  It will most likely take a couple months of trying, at least, so you wouldn't be taking time within a year, most likely.  Could happen, but the odds are against it. 

gumbeme06
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I would see what the company's policy is on maternity leave... I know when I got my job I read the requirements and if you haven't worked there at least a year by the time you had a baby then you don't get the leave time. So if you are planning on going back I would make sure if you got pregnant now that your job would still be secure.

familyisamour
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Very true. Getting pregnant is a LOT more complicated than I ever thought before we actually started trying. Thanks!

Quoting deccaf:

I would say that you should plan for what works for your family.  If you think you can afford it, try now.  It will most likely take a couple months of trying, at least, so you wouldn't be taking time within a year, most likely.  Could happen, but the odds are against it. 

pattya925
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

This.  At my workplace, you don't qualify for FMLA until you have worked a full yr

Quoting gumbeme06:

I would see what the company's policy is on maternity leave... I know when I got my job I read the requirements and if you haven't worked there at least a year by the time you had a baby then you don't get the leave time. So if you are planning on going back I would make sure if you got pregnant now that your job would still be secure.

familyisamour
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I will have to look into that. I know a lot of workplaces don't really have a maternity leave policy; they just use short term disability and pay you 60-80% of your pay.

Quoting pattya925:

This.  At my workplace, you don't qualify for FMLA until you have worked a full yr

Quoting gumbeme06:

kflemino22
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Do whatever is best for your family.  With my now 2 year old I found out I was pregnant right after I got hired at a new job.  I went in and told them and they were wonderful about it.  They even let me start working part-time from home after having my son.  There are so many factors that you could worry about when having a child, but the best thing you can do is start trying when you and your husband are both comfortable and ready with that decision.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I started this new job last month and I'm 22 weeks pregnant now. if your worth it, it won't be a big deal to them. I won't get maternity leave but I worked out a 5k hiring bonus to cover that month. ..mostly cover it at least. And my job starts everyone with a laptop so you can work from home, so I plan to go back at least part time fairly quickly.
On a side note, what engineering field? I have a bsme but work now as an aircraft certification lead
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
familyisamour
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Thank-you, that's really reassuring!

Quoting kflemino22:

Do whatever is best for your family.  With my now 2 year old I found out I was pregnant right after I got hired at a new job.  I went in and told them and they were wonderful about it.  They even let me start working part-time from home after having my son.  There are so many factors that you could worry about when having a child, but the best thing you can do is start trying when you and your husband are both comfortable and ready with that decision.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
And to add our ds will be 3 1/2 when this one is born
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
familyisamour
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:43 PM

That's awesome! My title is "Engineering Liaison Coordinator" and right now I'm just learning the way the run their engineering department. We develop repair drawings for aircraft damages. I know our manager works from home sometimes so it might be possible for me to do the same.

Quoting Nighttiger:

I started this new job last month and I'm 22 weeks pregnant now. if your worth it, it won't be a big deal to them. I won't get maternity leave but I worked out a 5k hiring bonus to cover that month. ..mostly cover it at least. And my job starts everyone with a laptop so you can work from home, so I plan to go back at least part time fairly quickly.
On a side note, what engineering field? I have a bsme but work now as an aircraft certification lead

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN