Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

child care is soooooo expensive.

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 28 Replies

im working now , my babysitter quit, daycaare centers are too expensive in my area. i might need to give my two weeks notice. too many work at home scams going on online so i cant trust getting into that. omg what is this world comming to.

hugs

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I pay $675 per month for a center.  I think it is very reasonable for my area.  But that's my area.  I don't know what your area average is.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM

childcare is extremely expensive! why did your babysitter quit?

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It's hard....it really is but I've interviewed many people for my kids daycare.  I also didn't hesitate to take them out when I didn't like how I felt about my kids going to a specific place anymore.  But, I got to know people more and we found the most unbelievable people that took care of our kids....and at a good rate.  It's always a risk where you take your kids but we also asked a lot of questions.  This couple that took care of our twins are like family to us now (even if they no longer go there because they are all in school). 

One thing I recommend is that if you interview home daycare providers, ask to have a couple of parents they have to use as references.  Ask them a ton of questions too. 

christyg
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

It seems expensive to parents, but it doesn't seem like nearly enough to providers. I make about 20K on a GOOD YEAR and I work 60hr/week average. I left a regular full time job to do this, and it was definitely not for the money! But I still need a paycheck, 

I don't know many people who are willing to do what I do, with the hours I keep, for the amount of money I make. -- What irks me is when someone is willing to pay $500-600 for a car payment, but not on the care of thier child. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting christyg:

It seems expensive to parents, but it doesn't seem like nearly enough to providers. I make about 20K on a GOOD YEAR and I work 60hr/week average. I left a regular full time job to do this, and it was definitely not for the money! But I still need a paycheck, 

I don't know many people who are willing to do what I do, with the hours I keep, for the amount of money I make. -- What irks me is when someone is willing to pay $500-600 for a car payment, but not on the care of thier child. 

I agree with you.  It's a tough job (i did preschool for 1.5 years during college) and I will always say that it was one of my toughest jobs but the best experience for life.  The rate did have to be affordable but at the same time, I always make sure that is comparable to the services and support they are providing to my children.  I also do not argue when they are going on vacation and we still need to pay them because I GET PAID while i'm on vacation so they should too.

Bubbie0809
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I am spoiled I guess, because i have been using the same sitter for 7 years and she isn't that expensive at all. (I don't use her as much anymore my kids either in school all day or part of the day) 

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I've never worked in childcare but I completely agree. I pay about $1200 a month for two and yea it's a lot but its a decent price in this area and I am comfortable working knowing my children are getting the best care possible.

Quoting christyg:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

How many children do you have and what is the rate in your area?

I just have one child and when he was younger he went to a in home daycare at $175/week. This was not expensive as the centers which ran $200/week.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM
We pay $190 a week now that dd has moved to infant room 2. It was $215 when she was in infant room 1. Crazy!
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM
It is a huge blow to the budget. Good luck finding options.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)