Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Is there an age, where you feel it is too old to become a parent?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 16 Replies

Steve Martin, 67, Becomes First-Time Dad

At 67 years old, Steve Martin is at last starring in his own real-life version of Parenthood! The New York Post's Page Six reports that the beloved comic actor has quietly become a father for the first time, with his wife, Anne Stringfield, welcoming a child in December.

The Dirty Rotten Scoundrels star and Stringfield, 41, were recently spotted near their Los Angeles home with their newborn baby -- whose gender and name have yet to be revealed. Says an insider to Page Six: "They've had a baby, and how they kept it a secret nobody knows . . . Steve's very private."

Actor, comedian, novelist and musician Martin divorced first wife, actress Victoria Tennant, in 1994 after eight years of marriage. He quietly wed Stringer -- a writer and former New Yorker editor -- in July 2007 at his L.A. home in a surprise ceremony officiated by former Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey. Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Michaels was best man, and other celeb guests included Tom Hanks, Carl Reiner and Eugene Levy.

Of the new bundle of joy, Martin and Stringfield "are thrilled," the source tells Page Six. "They worked hard to have the baby." Martin's rep could not be reached for comment.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I think it is all personal.  For me, I have hit that point.  For DH, he became a father for the third time at 42.  My Stepdad became a father for the final time at 47.  I think as long as the person goes into it knowing all the good and all the bad, more power to them

mickstinator
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM
How funny that he has spent his life acting dads and is just now becoming an actual member of the club. I certainly wouldn't want that, but I don't have any reason to develop much of an opinion on the matter beyond that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WonderWomanSV
by Stacey on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

For me personally, I don't want anymore kids after 30. For some, they are just starting at 30. It's a personal choice...but 67...you'd be lucky to see your child graduate from high school.

eatyourveges
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Because I had my first at 22 I won't have any more kids past 30. But that's my personal choice, other people can do as they chose.
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I honestly don't think it's quite fair to the kids - to have a parent that everyone will mistake as your grandparent, and for a rather strong likelihood that they won't be around - or maybe not healthy if they are around - for your high school graduation, etc.

But, to each their own.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's really sweet. I guess it just depends on each person individually. Myself, I don't know. I alwasy said I'd be done at 30. Here I am 29, one child adn divorced and wishing I could have two more eventually lol. So I am sure I'll be in my thirties...

virginiamama71
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

No whenever someone is ready to have children they should. And we never know when our time here ends, many children have lost their parents at a young age, while some have older parents who had longevity.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Obviously Mother Nature didn't seem to think so, as she made men fertile into older ages.

There are pros and cons for parenting at every age. Whatever works each family is what matters.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I had my first at 24, my last at 40. My parents were 38 and 43 when they had me, their last. I have friends who had children at 50. I would be concerned if I were older than 50 having children that the odds would be more skewed against me living to raise them into adulthood.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I agree

Quoting the3Rs:

I honestly don't think it's quite fair to the kids - to have a parent that everyone will mistake as your grandparent, and for a rather strong likelihood that they won't be around - or maybe not healthy if they are around - for your high school graduation, etc.

But, to each their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)