Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I died - they wouldn't know it...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just kidding...but that's how it feels right now.

I'm downstairs in my office.  My door is open, and there is no door at the top OR bottom of the stairs - just a straight open shot up the stairs.  My DH is cooking and playing music, and I can hear my younger two goofing around.  My 9 year old is *supposed* to be reading.

I've called his name and told him to do his homework at least 1/2 a dozen times - LOUDLY.  VERY.  LOUDLY.  Nothing.  No response.  No one heard a thing.

So...if I, oh I don't know, broke my ankle or was DYING and needed help and yelled out - no one would apparently hear me, LOL.

And yet...if DH and I are discussing the kids - especially something that might be interesting to them (like presents or punishments) - quietly, under our breath, in the garage - they would hear it from across the house...they always do.  LOL

Gotta love selective hearing!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Funny how they can hear things like "let's go get some ice cream!"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Yeah, whisper, "I've got cookies" and they will knock each other over to come to you....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

LOL

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

One day recently I told ds he had selective hearing and he was so excited to hear it. For about a week after that if you asked him why he didn't do something he would blame it on his selective hearing.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

kids are REALLY good at selective hearing!

christaberk
by Christa on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Good idea!

Quoting calsmom62:

Yeah, whisper, "I've got cookies" and they will knock each other over to come to you....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Funny how that selective hearing works. I told ds to take the toys from the living room into his bedroom. Apparently he heard me say "go get your T-Rex and bring it here" It's a giant, stuffed T-Rex with a button you push that makes it roar, the mouth opens and closes and the eyes flash red.

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Your house sounds so much like mine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)