Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare moms, do u take offense to being called a part time mom?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm asked if I feel guilty for being a part time mom but I'm not a part time mom. I spend more hours with my kids than I do at work. 1 hr in the morning 4 hrs in the evening then about 24 hrs on the weekends. This time spent awake interacting. I'm also off or working at home when they're sick, we have the major holidays and I have 20 pto days per year. My job is 40 hrs per week. I work full time but by my calculations, I'm also being mom full-time by sheer number of hours. How can anyone say I don't spend time with my kids? Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I know I'm not a part time mom, so I take no offense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you see the CM highlighted post too on the hone page??? I initially took offense before I closed the browser. People have their opinions. Show me a SAHM that is 100% engaged all day every day. They have things to take are of too.

What irks me more is that CM feeds the fire between moms by highlighting that post on the home page.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumbeme06
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I may work full time but the time I spend with dd is quality I do what I have to do to make sure she doesn't have to struggle, so we have food on our table, bills paid, clothes on our back. I wouldn't let the ignorant person who makes such a ridiculous statement have the satisfaction of thinking they hit a nerve with me.
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't feel guilty at all. My job affords my son and my stepkids things which they would not have if I were a SAHM....such as vacations, extra curriculars, etc. It also teaches our family planning and organizing, as well as forces the kids to learn how to take care of themselves, like during the summer when we are at work, they have to wash their own ball uniforms and get themselves to the field on time. I like to think I am parenting even while I'm not physically there. There's more to parenting than just the physical time spent with your kids. And, my son and my skids all know I will drop my job in a heartbeat if they need something.
lisahappymom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that is an offensive comment.  (I work full time too, and I would be really bothered by that comment too.)  You are a full time mom without a doubt.  Anyone who tries to make you feel "less than" because you are working is waaaaaaaaaaayyyy out of line.  

In the end your kids know your commitment to them, and those are the only opinions that matter.

raegan1221
by Raegan on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes I do take offense to that. I am a FULL time single working Mom. I have to work to provide for my son. Yes he has to go to daycare but like you said I spend hours before school/day care, hours in the evenings and then all weekend with him when he's not with his Dad. I spend my days off with him, holidays, etc. Just because I don't get to have the luxury of staying home with him doesn't make me a part time Mom. My love and devotion is full time.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Doesn't bother me at all what others say.
2curly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

This

Quoting deccaf:

I know I'm not a part time mom, so I take no offense.

baileymarie723
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No I don't get offended. Those people don't know me, or how much time I actually spend with my child. IMO me working gives my child a better life. Plus, my DD is in schol the hours I work so she wouldn't see me regardless.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

This. There's no point in trying to waste your energy on someone like that.

Quoting the3Rs:

Look, people are rude & often inconsiderate. Can't control that. You CAN control how you react to it. So, would I be offended? No. Why waste that kind of energy on something like that? You won't change their mind, & you know if you're a good parent, so let it go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)