Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Daycare moms, do u take offense to being called a part time mom?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 32 Replies
So I'm asked if I feel guilty for being a part time mom but I'm not a part time mom. I spend more hours with my kids than I do at work. 1 hr in the morning 4 hrs in the evening then about 24 hrs on the weekends. This time spent awake interacting. I'm also off or working at home when they're sick, we have the major holidays and I have 20 pto days per year. My job is 40 hrs per week. I work full time but by my calculations, I'm also being mom full-time by sheer number of hours. How can anyone say I don't spend time with my kids? Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM
4 moms liked this
Look, people are rude & often inconsiderate. Can't control that. You CAN control how you react to it. So, would I be offended? No. Why waste that kind of energy on something like that? You won't change their mind, & you know if you're a good parent, so let it go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Let me think...Monday through Friday, I spend about 5.5 hours of my daughter's non-sleeping hours with her, and she spends about 6.5 hours of her nonsleeping day with her day care providers.  :( sad sigh.  But it is what it is--I wouldn't characterize myself as a "part-time" mom, but I can't claim that I spend more waking hours during the week with her than three non-related women do.  However, I spend ALL her waking weekend hours with her, so overall during the entire week, I win. :D  yay.

jazzieshari
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this
You don't have to calculate the hours you spend with your kids being a FULL time mom is more then just the time u spend with them. Working to support your children is also what being a mother is about. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom and spend every waking moment with their children. If your children are healthy and happy then you are a wonderful mother and doing a great job. Forget what other people say. Let them live their farytail life n you continue to do what you have been doing. Don't worry
rissarin
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Being a mom is fulltime, whether you're physically with them 24/7 or not. There's nothing part time about it just because you work to support everyone. That's absurd. Keep on rocking, working momma. ;)
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM

This. Its such a waste of time to judge others.

Quoting the3Rs:

Look, people are rude & often inconsiderate. Can't control that. You CAN control how you react to it. So, would I be offended? No. Why waste that kind of energy on something like that? You won't change their mind, & you know if you're a good parent, so let it go.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

how am I a part time mom if I'm busting my ass at work every day to make sure she's taken care of? no reason to be offended, everyone will have their opinions.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
**rolls eyes** ridiculously silly statement, but not offensive.

Why can't people just stop making judgements when they just can't understand? Obviously whoever says something like that is a close minded dimwit who thinks "time" is all that matters. There are so many ways to successfully parent and raise great kids.

On a sarcastic side note, I'd like to cut back to part-time parenting while I am dealing with my first trimester pregnancy ills, really, how do you do that?? **ponders** yea, the kids, they are still here, hmmmmmmmm.......what do these people know that I do not.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Meh.  People are silly.  I have learned to ignore it, just like I ignore it when the ladies at church go into rapturous speech over a clean house and the joys of being able to have full control of the chid rearing lol.  I am pretty satisfied with our routine, just wish I had a better paying position, but that will change someday :)

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
No, not offensive, just stupid. Part of parenting is providing opportunities and opening doors I never had. By working, I feel I'm establishing values and showing her she can be a bright and successful woman. Meanwhile, I'm also the one she turns to for comfort and guidance. She is in daycare where she is loved and nurtured and socializing with lots of children her own age. I truly believe it takes a village, but at the end of the day, she knows who her mommy is. When we're together, we're inseparable. Do I work full time? Yes. Does that make me a part time mom? When everything I do is for providing the best for my daughter, absolutely not.
jhslove
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM

This!

Quoting levansbx:

No, not offensive, just stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)