Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Daycare moms, do u take offense to being called a part time mom?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I'm asked if I feel guilty for being a part time mom but I'm not a part time mom. I spend more hours with my kids than I do at work. 1 hr in the morning 4 hrs in the evening then about 24 hrs on the weekends. This time spent awake interacting. I'm also off or working at home when they're sick, we have the major holidays and I have 20 pto days per year. My job is 40 hrs per week. I work full time but by my calculations, I'm also being mom full-time by sheer number of hours. How can anyone say I don't spend time with my kids? Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
mickstinator
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this

i saw that featured post about a woman who thought it was ridiculous for her friend to want another kid when she was just a "part time mom" since her kids were in daycare all the time. 

i find it horrible and rather offensive to parents in general everywhere. it is discrediting the impact people have on others, ever. i learned a myriad of lessons from my dad and he worked my whole childhood. hey! my mom did, too. and even my grandparents, who i saw twice a year, have greatly influenced me. 

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Not so much offended as thinking that is the DUMBEST title I've ever heard.

Ever hear of them calling a dad a Part time dad?

I honestly think people say it just to make themselves feel better. It takes more than being home with a kid 24/7 to be a good or full time parent.

EmilyJ604
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If my husband and I both didnt work we couldnt afford to raise our kids so I dont care what anybody says unless they want to pay my bills

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I stopped trippin' off that a long time ago.  If any of those people that call me a part-time mom wants to pay my bills and feed my kids they're welcome to it.  But until then, why would I be offended that I'm taking care of my kids the best way I know how just because it's different from how other people take care of their kids.

Also, being a good mom is not dependent on the amount of time you spend with your kids.  I know some kids that would probably be less damaged if their mothers spent less time with them.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

No matter where I'm at.....I'm a mom.  My sister is a SAHM and on her FB she says "I'm a full-time mom" and I replied "so am i" which i'm sure she didn't mean to put me down but I felt like it was meant that way for those that do go to work. 

Now....they can say all the crap they want to say but I know i'm a damn good mother.

cookin_mama665
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Whoever posed the question was either

• rude
  • ignorant
  • clueless
  • fed with a silver-spoon
  • has no clue of what a part-time mother is

The days of marrying someone who can support you and your family are few and far between.  The economy does not allow for this to be mainstream, not for the majority.  A part-time mother is a person who is present, but not there;

I would have said not as guilty as I would feel if I was at home collecting government aid knowing damn well I could be earning a much better living and providing more for my family.

GingerGeek
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Being a mom is a full time job, even if you work full time.  Moms are so judgemental of each other.  It's best to just ignore ignorance.

However, I will say I was miserable working full time.  I did so for many many years, and just less than a year ago was able to start working part time.  I am much happier now, but if anything were to come up financially I realize I may have to work full time again- and I won't be any less of a mom for doing so.

Taneshia1011
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Im not offended!! It takes money to raise kids...so I have to work I just dont have respect for the fems that have kids and just stay at home and have no goals to go to school or work.. Im doing the righr thing I refuse to sit home if im physically able to work
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said. I work full-time to keep a roof over ds's head, clothes on his back, and food in his mouth. If we quit judging others so much the world would be a much better place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I don't stop being a mother while I'm at work. I am a mom, 100% of the time. That being said, I don't take offense to a being told I'm a part time mom. Because I know it's not true, and it's likely being said by someone too ignorant to know the difference. I just brush it off as your typical stupid wayward comment and move along.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)