Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How old were you when you first started regularly working for non-relatives on a strictly cash basis (ie, for wages, not for favors, food, etc.)?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: How old were you?

Options:

under 12

12-15

16-17

18-21

22+

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I was 13--I babysat five days a week, 10 hours a day all summer for a couple that ran their own housecleaning business and then when school started up, I babysat for them 10 hours a day most Saturdays .  I made a dollar per hour per child; they were two little girls aged 3 and 4.  I babysat for them til I turned 16, at which time I got a job at McDonald's.  There have been very few breaks from employment in my life since I was 13, and I'm 40 this year...how bout  you? :)

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I started babysitting and taking care of peoples pets while they were away at age 10. I babysat throughout my teen years wed thru sat nights, and more in the summer. I also helped people open up and close up their summer homes as we had a lake house. I also worked for a realtor doing records searches as a teen, and worked in a church nursery. I made .50 an hour at first, babysitting, then by the time I was in high school I made 75.00 a week for the wed thru sat night job...min wage was about 1.65 an hour....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christyg
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I have been working since I was 14. My first job was for my uncle, but it was a real paid summer job on the berry farm.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I was fourteen and started babysitting for neighbors after school during the week.  Did that until college, then took on work study jobs.

KaylasMama11
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:06 AM

i started working in a cookie house in the mall when i was 15.

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I started babysitting at age 11. I babysat most weekends. My first non-babysitting job was at Wendys at age 17.
Mommy2CailynP
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I was 15, working at a daycare after school each day.
mickstinator
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I was 16 when I got my first "real" job. I was 14/15 when I became a regular babysitter for the neighborhood. I watched one little baby the summer before I turned 16. 

OkieOBRN
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
16. But i rode horses for people before that... only they paid my grandparents and it went in my rodeo entrurs fund
Loveplusmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I babysat frequently beginning at 13-14...had summer nanny gigs as I got older. First "real" job was a ymca camp counselor my sophomore year in college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffani_qt2001
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

My stepmom was a director for a private catholic preschool, so she arranged many familys for me to babysit for starting when I was 13. My parents forced me to get a real job as soon as I turned 16. I've worked full time ever since and only took a 4 week break when I had my daughter. Almost 25 now and have many more years ahead!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)