Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Advice needed! Email to potential employer.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 10 Replies
I interviewed with a new company recently. We talked thru email from the time I applied up to the interview. I also emailed the person I interviewed with thanking her for the interview and so forth. She told me it would take several weeks to get the position filled and what not. My question is how should I go about inquiring if the position has been filled? What should I say? I've never had to do this before so it's new to me and I really want to know so if I'm no longer in the running for the position I can keep looking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I would call or email the HR person you've been working with. Just let them know you are still interested and ask if the position has been filled yet.

Say: Dear so and so, Thank you again for taking the time to interview me for this position. I am just checking to see if the position has been filled. Please keep me in mind, as I am quite interested in this position with your company.

TS9509
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Thank you!!!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I would call or email the HR person you've been working with. Just let them know you are still interested and ask if the position has been filled yet.

Say: Dear so and so, Thank you again for taking the time to interview me for this position. I am just checking to see if the position has been filled. Please keep me in mind, as I am quite interested in this position with your company.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Send a follow up again thanking the company for the opportunity to interview.  Put a line in, something like, "I am also curious if you have filled the position."  But I would wait until the time they said it would take to fill has either come up or passed.  Maybe a day or two ahead, but many companies keep the opening up until a certain date, and then make the selection.  I wouldn't want to seem pushy, so I would wait until that deadline was close.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I agree with the other ladies. Wait for the time they specified and then send the e-mail. Thank them for their time and let them know you're still interested if they haven't filled the position yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TS9509
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
They really didn't give a time. She said the company is slow when it comes to hiring. I interviewed on 2/8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LNLMommy
by Kelli on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I agree with this..For the job I have right now, when I first applied, the hiring manager told me that the position would be open for two weeks and then they would be doing some calls for interviews..so after the two weeks had passed, I emailed her saying I knew that they were in the midst of reviewing resumes but I was still interested in interviewing for the position. After the interview, they said they were going to take another 7-10days so I followed up with  thank you email and waited.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

lisahappymom
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I would not contact them.  It could come across as desperate.  --I'm not saying that you are, but they might think so.  Show your confidence by waiting for them to contact you.

You definitely need to keep looking.  You might very well be in contention for the position, but if you keep looking it will keep your mind off it and it could potentially leave you with a strong offer for them to match if they do hire you. 

Good luck!  Keep us posted when you hear back!  :-)

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I'm going to disagree with this one.  I believe that contacting them after a certain amount of time shows that you're pro-active, responsible, a go-getter.

It would appear desperate if you contacted them too soon, though.  If you interviewed Feb. 8th I would say anytime after this Friday (which is 3 weeks) is fair game to contact them.

Quoting lisahappymom:

I would not contact them.  It could come across as desperate.  --I'm not saying that you are, but they might think so.  Show your confidence by waiting for them to contact you.

You definitely need to keep looking.  You might very well be in contention for the position, but if you keep looking it will keep your mind off it and it could potentially leave you with a strong offer for them to match if they do hire you. 

lisahappymom
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Oh, I didn't realize that much time had gone by.  Well, I still think it's important to be very cautious so that you sound desirable. 

It would be great if you could contact them with a resume update, such as just completing an online certification course on xyz, or something along those lines.  Or, ideally, if the person actually has another job offer, it would be great to explain that the other offer that needed to be responded to by a certain date and that information on whether they were still under consideration would be useful in making a decision.

Quoting the3Rs:

I'm going to disagree with this one.  I believe that contacting them after a certain amount of time shows that you're pro-active, responsible, a go-getter.

It would appear desperate if you contacted them too soon, though.  If you interviewed Feb. 8th I would say anytime after this Friday (which is 3 weeks) is fair game to contact them.

Quoting lisahappymom:

allyn9
by Carey on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

I agree with the other ladies. Wait for the time they specified and then send the e-mail. Thank them for their time and let them know you're still interested if they haven't filled the position yet.

Yup, I agree!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN