Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

According to the site I use, nothing.  So I will go back to what the weekend held!

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Daytona 500

No need for explanation.

who won?

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deccaf:

International Sword Swallowers Day

The art of sword swallowing began over 4000 years ago in India, and requires the practitioner to use mind-over-matter techniques to control the body and repress natural reflexes to insert solid steel blades from 15 to 25 inches down the esophagus and into the stomach. With the demise of the traveling circus sideshow over the past few decades, there are currently less than a few dozen full-time professional sword swallowers actively performing the deadly art of sword swallowing around the world today.

oh dear lol I had no idea there were so many sword swallowers that there should be a day

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Jimmie Johnson!  Go Home team (he's from around here.  we even have a car dealership with his name!)

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting deccaf:

Daytona 500

No need for explanation.

who won?

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I know, right? 

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting deccaf:

Daytona 500

No need for explanation.

who won?

rissarin
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Curling IS cool!! We love curling. Hubby curls every Wednesday in a league. I would too if it didn't require a weekly babysitter. It's fun. :)

Quoting deccaf:

Curling is Cool Day

Curling is an odd sport – perceived by many as a fusion of indoor bowls, ice-skating and household cleaning. Curling Is Cool Day attempts to break away from the preconceptions, and to show curling as an interesting, exciting and cool sport (not least in terms of temperature) in its own right

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I actually saw this on my calendar at work. Nice to know the meaning now.

Quoting deccaf:

Purim

Purim (Hebrew: About this sound פּוּרִים Pûrîm "lots", from the word pur,[3] related to Akkadian pūru) is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people in the ancient Persian Empire from destruction in the wake of a plot by Haman, a story recorded in the Biblical Book of Esther (Megillat Esther).

According to the Book of Esther, in the Hebrew Bible, Haman, royal vizier to King Ahasuerus (presumed to be Xerxes I of Persia), planned to kill all the Jews in the empire, but his plans were foiled by Mordecai and his adopted daughter Queen Esther. The day of deliverance became a day of feasting and rejoicing.

Purim is celebrated by giving reciprocal gifts of food and drink (mishloach manot), giving charity to the poor (mattanot la-evyonim),[4] a celebratory meal (se'udat Purim), and public recitation of the Scroll of Esther (kriat ha-megillah), additions to the prayers and the grace after meals (al hannisim).[5] Other customs include drinking wine, wearing of masks and costumes, and public celebration.[6]

Purim is celebrated annually according to the Hebrew calendar on the 14th day of the Hebrew month of Adar (Adar II in leap years), the day following the victory of the Jews over their enemies. In cities that were protected by a surrounding wall at the time of Joshua, Purim is instead celebrated on the 15th of the month on what is known as Shushan Purim, since fighting in the walled city of Shushan continued through the 14th.[7] Today, only Jerusalem celebrates Purim on the 15th.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

National Chocolate Covered Nuts Day

February 25th, 2013

A protein-packed part of your daily diet just got more awesome! Douse your almonds, filberts, or cashews with cocoa and you'd have to be nuts to eat anything else today.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

National Chili Day

February 25th, 2013

How do you like your chili? Without beans like the Texans? Con carne, turkey or vegetarian? Perhaps you'd like it mixed into your chocolate dessert. Any way you like it, dig in to that spicy bowl of heaven today, friends. We'll keep a glass of water handy for you.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

National Pistol Patent Day

February 25th, 2013

There probably isn't a long line for pistol patentees at the patent office anymore, not since Samuel Colt and his infamous multi-chamber gun in 1936. So thanks. Mr. Colt, for giving the world another word that just keeps sounding funnier the more we say it. Pistol. Pistol. Pistol.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I should have done something for ds for Purim
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)