Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

night shift and terrible twos?!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

I recently got put onto the night shift schedule at work. Im a CNA and work long hours, usually from 6:30 pm to 7am. My son is with the babysitter and my mother while i work and sleep. since the recent change in schedule (about two months ago) we are back to dipers, increased temper tantrums, and he is CONSTANTLY hitting. the list could go on. being a 17 year old single mom and student i can not afford to stay home any longer to put things back to normal. i treasure all time spent with my son, all the time in the world could never be enough, but does anyone have any advise on this situation?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
christyg
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

You, your mom, and his babysitter need to ALL be on the same page. Consequences need to be consistent no matter what the situation. The more stability that you can give him, the better he will adjust.

I am assuming that your mom is with him at night. Does she keep a bedtime schedule for him? Maybe you can video a goodnight message for him, or maybe reading his favorite book or singing his favorite song that he ONLY gets to watch right before going to bed.

Do you see him in the morning before he goes to the babysitter? Can you make time to eat breakfast together, or something that he can look forward to in the morning when he sees you? Even watching a favorite cartoon with you (and make yourself sit with him the whole time!) should be enough. Something to connect with him before you both go your separate ways would help a lot...and be consistent. He needs to know that he can count on it happening.

For the temper and hitting .... part of it is just the 2's. When he throws a tantrum, dont give in. Let him get it out of his system and dont respond until he can collect himself and talk like a big boy again. Remaining calm is the hardest part. Dont let him see you sweat (LOL). When he hits, firmly grab his hand and tell him "No hitting" in your serious voice. You will do this 20 times a day, but if your response is always the same, he will catch on. Also, see if you can find what triggers his hitting. I find that kids are the most ornery when they are either hungry or tired. If you can eliminate both of those factors, you are already one step ahead. 

I want to commend you on being a young mom, working, and going to school. I know that it is tough!!! Keep strong, find your support system, and keep hanging in there. I think its awesome to see young moms staying in school :)

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I have worked nights since my daughters were born but work from 11pm until 730am.  I know we need sleep but you still need to spend time with your son as well, so given that schedule, when do you get a chance to spend with him?

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't have said it better :) I think getting everyone on the same page as far as schedule goes will be a big help. Also setting aside time for just the two of you will probably help him feel like you aren't completely abandoning him. I know you're not doing that but at 2 you never know what reason might be going through his head. I think once everyone gets used to the schedule he'll feel better and maybe the tantrums and hitting will decrease. Good luck and hang in there!

Quoting christyg:

You, your mom, and his babysitter need to ALL be on the same page. Consequences need to be consistent no matter what the situation. The more stability that you can give him, the better he will adjust.

I am assuming that your mom is with him at night. Does she keep a bedtime schedule for him? Maybe you can video a goodnight message for him, or maybe reading his favorite book or singing his favorite song that he ONLY gets to watch right before going to bed.

Do you see him in the morning before he goes to the babysitter? Can you make time to eat breakfast together, or something that he can look forward to in the morning when he sees you? Even watching a favorite cartoon with you (and make yourself sit with him the whole time!) should be enough. Something to connect with him before you both go your separate ways would help a lot...and be consistent. He needs to know that he can count on it happening.

For the temper and hitting .... part of it is just the 2's. When he throws a tantrum, dont give in. Let him get it out of his system and dont respond until he can collect himself and talk like a big boy again. Remaining calm is the hardest part. Dont let him see you sweat (LOL). When he hits, firmly grab his hand and tell him "No hitting" in your serious voice. You will do this 20 times a day, but if your response is always the same, he will catch on. Also, see if you can find what triggers his hitting. I find that kids are the most ornery when they are either hungry or tired. If you can eliminate both of those factors, you are already one step ahead. 

I want to commend you on being a young mom, working, and going to school. I know that it is tough!!! Keep strong, find your support system, and keep hanging in there. I think its awesome to see young moms staying in school :)

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone being on the same page is the most important thing. Also establish a set routine for your ds (eating, sleeping, naps, etc).

coffeebynight
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

on the days i work, i see him for very few hours. usually from about 1-5 and then im back at it again. its my days off we really get to spend time together. and thank you all for the tips(:

Quoting MixedCooke:

I have worked nights since my daughters were born but work from 11pm until 730am.  I know we need sleep but you still need to spend time with your son as well, so given that schedule, when do you get a chance to spend with him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)