Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Any of these ring true for you?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130228150321-5799319-5-reasons-you-hate-your-job

Unhappy at work? Time to make some changes.

A whopping 60 percent of Americans would choose a different career if given the chance. That says a lot about our happiness levels.

Finding a fulfilling career is, in itself, hard work. We all want the security of a job that fulfills our creative aspirations, but many employees across the U.S. are struggling. So what’s the solution? Undoubtedly, you don’t have complete control over factors like your boss, money, co-workers, and assigned tasks. But there are reasons you hate your job that you can change.

Here are five reasons you don’t love your job:

1. You’re unorganized.
Organization clears your head. When’s the last time you organized your inbox, updated your computer and mobile device software, or cleaned your workspace? Disarray causes anxiety, so get organized if you want to feel fulfilled creatively.

2. You’re stressed.
By nature, work causes anxiety. But we all have to do it. If you aren’t taking time to step back and breathe, your stress will only get worse. Take the time to relax every day, not just on the weekends.

3. You’re not taking care of your body.
Are you finding yourself reaching for junk food in the office vending machine? Are you overcaffeinated? Hitting up happy hour too frequently? Taking care of your body is the first step to unwinding, so pay attention to what goes in it.

4. You don’t like your colleagues.
You see your colleagues each and every day. If you don’t get along on a personal level, it can be difficult to be in the same office together each day. Try to practice empathy when dealing with your coworkers, and understand that they have a lot going on in their personal life, too. If someone seems angry or upset, take it as a sign that they need space.

5. Your finances aren’t in order.
Just how much do you pay attention to your spending? Are you throwing money away on unnecessary items like clothing, expensive coffees, or new gadgets you don’t need? Getting your finances in order will afford you security. If you can’t reconcile your finances even after addressing your own spending habits, talk to your boss, or band together with other workers who are feeling the same.

In addition to the above reasons, it is necessary to consider the big picture. Before you automatically assume it's just your job, consider if you are in the right industry or with a company that matches your core values.

Before throwing in the towel, consider which aspects of your job you can change in order to make your work life less stressful and more enjoyable. Learning to love your job -- or just falling back in love with it -- is hard work, and it often takes a level of introspection and self-awareness that some of us inadvertently lack.

(Image courtesy kalexanderson, Flickr)

About Ilya Pozin:
Founder of Ciplex. Columnist for Inc, Forbes & LinkedIn. Gadget lover, investor, mentor, husband, father, and '30 Under 30' entrepreneur.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No.  I LOVE my job!  And the company I work for! And my boss!  I am very blessed to be where I am!

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I feel the same about my job, but these ideas seem to have more to do with keeping yourself healthy and as stress free as you can - which if you ARE unhappy working, might make it better for you - at least that's how I read it. 

Quoting deccaf:

No.  I LOVE my job!  And the company I work for! And my boss!  I am very blessed to be where I am!

mickstinator
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Part of my problem (other than this not being my preferred career field) is that I have no colleauges. I work regularly with 2 people - one of those coincidentally is my mother. I have 2 other coworkers that work away from the office most of the time and several contractors that are never in the office. Additionally, no one is remotely near my place in life - young, married with young children. It gets rough.

christyg
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

#1 is SO TRUE!!! I run a daycare, and with a house full of little ones it is really hard to keep organized. My weekends are super busy with my own 4 kids, so it never seems like there is time to catch up. I know I would be happier if I was more organized.

#2 Hmmm .... not so much, except when all three daycare babies are sick at the same time (does this winter seems worse than normal to anyone else???)

#3 is TOTALLY TRUE!!!! ~ Im working on this one :)

#4 No colleagues here, which is good and bad all at the same time. Its just me and the munchkins.

#5 only so/so. We manage what we make pretty good, we just need to make more to keep up with the growing kids. We dont spend money on frivolous things, but groceries, gas, and insurance alone with 4 teens and 4 drivers is killing us. 

*** This list is GREAT! Sometimes I think my frustrations are just from my specific job. But really, it goes much deeper than that. Its all about me and MY attitude (isnt is always?). Changing careers would still have the same issues. I kinda needed to hear this! THANKS!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My main reason for disliking my job lately is because of certain co-workers. It's not necessarily that I don't get along with them, but one of them is completely useless and gets away with dumping her work on everybody else because she's "too stressed", and the other one just comes and goes as she pleases and still gets paid for it.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM

2-5 are definitely bog problems of mine

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM

2 and 4 are the top for me.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I love my job. My coworkers are great, but I agree that organizing my desk my files my projects and inbox makes me even happier. Then I bring out the lysol wipes and deep clean the cubicle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Very true, for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I love my job now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN