Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

office cliques

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 14 Replies
I'm new to our office (3 months) and I cannot get over how much these women constantly whisper and gossip. Its all day and I have to sit right in the middle of it. I think its rude and unproductive, but I am trying to ignore it. However, it is starting to wear on my nerves and self-esteem (can't help but wonder if some of it is about me). Does anyone else have to deal with this? I'm just amazed at grown women acting this way!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I don't really have anyone else working around me at my current spot but I used to have to deal with it constantly when I worked at other buildings. I usually just walked away. I've gotten to the point that I don't care what others really think anymore. It takes too much of my energy that I can use on something else.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

We don't really have people gossiping about other co-workers. It's more they can stand and talk for HOURS about the college ball games over the past weekend, or what's coming up this weekend, or somebody's cousin this or that. I don't mind visiting for a little bit, but a few minutes at a time ought to do it. Hang in there. Try to ignore it - turn up your music a little or do a task away from your desk for a while to get away.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Yes!! I know the staff talk about me, but I only know some of it. They all talk about each other and it's worse then high school
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

It happens in all offices.  You think you have outgrown high school, but it becomes worse in the working world.  Just assume it isn't about you until presented with evidence that shows otherwise.  I am very lucky now that I have my own area that is totally away from the a/p and a/r ladies.  They are HORRIBLE about this!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

OMG it is like high school at my work! And most of the gossip and drama is started by the guys. I work in a back corner of the main office, so thankfully I don't have to hear much of it, but what I do hear is super annoying.

wifeynmommie80
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I currently WAH in a virtual enviroment, but I know what you mean it even happens then. Just ignore it.

virginiamama71
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I am at my job almost 10 years and its been like this within the last 5 years.

I just do my work, to get my check ; )

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That really stinks.  I don't encounter that anymore - even when I go in the office - but it was REALLY prominent when I was a teacher.  Those teacher cliques were worse than the 8th grade girls.  So pathetic.

annasmom1234
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I guess that's one reason I am thankful I am the only woman in our office!

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Luckily my current office environment is not like that.  I've been here 9 years now and love it.  Part of the reason is because it's not cliquey.

I have been in an office environment like that in the past though.  It sucked.  It sucked even more when the gossip started being about me.  I got out of there as fast as I could.

I don't know what it is but it's like some people just never grow up beyond high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN