Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Today (3/5) is...

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 5 Replies
Only a few today.
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Saint Piran's Day

St Piran's Day started as one of the many tinners' holidays observed by the tin miners of Cornwall. Other miners' holidays of a similar nature include Picrous Day and Chewidden Thursday.

St. Piran's Day was said to be a favourite with the tinners who having a tradition that some secrets regarding the manufacture of tin were communicated to their ancestors by that saint, they leave the manufacture to shift for itself for that day, and keep it as a holiday."[4] There is little description of specific traditions associated with this day apart from the consumption of large amounts of alcohol and food during 'Perrantide'. The day following the St Piran's Day was known by many as 'Mazey Day', a term which has now been adopted by the revived Golowan festival in Penzance. The phrase 'drunk as a perraner' was used in 19th century Cornwall to describe people who had consumed large quantities of alcohol.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Peace Corps Day

Today is Peace Corps Day. Established by President Kennedy fifty years ago today, the Peace Corps has three simple goals:

• Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.

• Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.

• Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Unique Names Day

Uniqua from "The Backyardigans," a popular kids' show fostering imagination and music appreciation, has a unique name. On Unique Names Day, appreciate your own unique name or "salute friends, acquaintances and loved ones who have a unique name," recommends Names Universe. Chances are these friends can't find their names on ready-made key chains, magnets or other trinkets. Consider having a small item personalized for a special person in your life with a unique name. Or explore the world of unique names, from Tancredi to Jamila, at Nameberry.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Unique Names Day

Uniqua from "The Backyardigans," a popular kids' show fostering imagination and music appreciation, has a unique name. On Unique Names Day, appreciate your own unique name or "salute friends, acquaintances and loved ones who have a unique name," recommends Names Universe. Chances are these friends can't find their names on ready-made key chains, magnets or other trinkets. Consider having a small item personalized for a special person in your life with a unique name. Or explore the world of unique names, from Tancredi to Jamila, at Nameberry.

This is MY day!
leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Unique Names Day

I don't think that Leah is super unique, but when I was a kid, I could never find my name on keychains and stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)