Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Super frustrating!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

I spend time with a lady about once a week. She doesn't drive, so I take her to doc appointments, take her to the grocery store, etc. She/her sister pay me $25 each time I spend time with her to help with gas and stuff. Normally it's fine because I usually just go pick her up after I get off work, which is at 2:30. The is having some outpatient treatments done three times a week for the next three weeks, and when I was scheduling the pick ups with her sister, she told me it would be 4:00. So that's what I had planned for. It's not super convenient, and it's a lot farther away than where I would normally pick her up at her house. Not to mention traffic will suck. So I get this message last night from her sister saying that she actually can't be picked up until 5:30. Ummmm we had talked about 4. I can almost go pick her up straight from work at 4. 5:30 doesn't work for me at all. And she didn't even ask if that would work, she just assumes that I sit around on these afternoons waiting for them to call me. And for $25, it's not even worth it. I have to leave my house by 4:30 at the very latest, sit in traffic, and then deal with whatever drama there is in the hospital. And then on top of that, she's expecting me to take G home and stay there with her! I'm getting ready to call her in a few minutes and tell her that I will make it work this week, but I can't do it next week. I can work with 4, 5:30 is dinner time, traffic time, take care of my own critters time.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I would agree.  The money you pay is small, so you are doing it out of kindness more than anything.  If it doesn't work with your schedule, it doesn't.  You are giving them time to find an alternative solution, so you are doing the right thing.  You can't sacrifice time you would normally spend with your family to do this.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Yeah...Sorry, I had planned on 4:00. I have plans later so I can't make the 5:30 pickup.

It's maddening when people change plans on you and then assume you can rearrange your life to accommodate them. Good luck!

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I understand exactly what you mean.  This week I had a client get royally pissed and end his contract because I was unavailable to answer his emails at a moment's noice.  I had already preformed the work and he sent me a follow-up which is what I didn't see on time so now he's claiming I didn't do any work.  What's worse is that this is through one of those job bidding sites and he gave me horrible feedback that will be there forever.  And all this over $15/hour.

When you work for yourself, people assume you have nothing to do but jump when they snap their fingers.

Quoting leahbeah143:

And she didn't even ask if that would work, she just assumes that I sit around on these afternoons waiting for them to call me. And for $25, it's not even worth it.

Connect with me.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

She fully tried to guilt me about how much she's working, how much she's got going on, blah blah blah. I am doing this for them on top of my regular full time job, my family, my life.

Quoting HotMama330:

I understand exactly what you mean.  This week I had a client get royally pissed and end his contract because I was unavailable to answer his emails at a moment's noice.  I had already preformed the work and he sent me a follow-up which is what I didn't see on time so now he's claiming I didn't do any work.  What's worse is that this is through one of those job bidding sites and he gave me horrible feedback that will be there forever.  And all this over $15/hour.

When you work for yourself, people assume you have nothing to do but jump when they snap their fingers.

Quoting leahbeah143:

And she didn't even ask if that would work, she just assumes that I sit around on these afternoons waiting for them to call me. And for $25, it's not even worth it.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM

So I just talked to her, and let her know that I would make it work this week, but next week I can't do it. My sister will be out of town next week, so I am staying at her place in the complete opposite direction, 530 absolutely will not work. She tried to guilt me with how busy she is with her work and how she doesn't have a back up, but she wasn't nasty about it or anything. I don't mind helping them, but I don't apreciate being taken advantage of!

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

That's unfortunate.

In my case, I told him I have other clients and I only check my messages three times a day.  I never heard a response after that.  In addition, he knew I have a child at home with me. But, yes, I'm supposed to do nothing but wait for him to email.

Quoting leahbeah143:

She fully tried to guilt me about how much she's working, how much she's got going on, blah blah blah. I am doing this for them on top of my regular full time job, my family, my life.

Quoting HotMama330:

Quoting leahbeah143:

Connect with me.

flutter523
by Tracy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I think you handled it well. Giving plenty of notice for next week even though they didn't give you the same courtesy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Hopefully they can work with you better next week and will show more respect for your time in the future.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM
They should have checked with you first. Her sister needs to remember you have a job and family of your own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN