Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How would you react?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 30 Replies

My 9 year old boy was struggling with writing a summary for the latest chapter of the book they're reading in school. So, I read the chapter to see if I could help.

O. M. G.

A white girl was captured by Indians. The guys got super drunk. Then it describes in detail how one of the guys repeatedly hit the young girl until she nearly passed out & then pinned both of her arms to the bed and got on top of her wanting her "as a man wants a woman" - to teach her to "be a good squaw".

She was desparately trying to get away but he was too strong. She was begging (in her mind) to die because dying was better than this. The only thing that saved her was someone else showing up & pulling him off.

So...summary? Dude gets drunk & beats & tries to rape girl.

How would you feel about your 9 year old reading that?? He didn't even fully understand what he was reading (thank God) & I sure don't trust the school to explain it to him!! So inappropriate to be reading about freaking RAPE at 9 years old.

I will be going in to talk with the teacher.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM
That's an awfully adult topic for a 9 year old. I would talk to the teacher as well. I'm okay with talking to children about issues with certain situations but I had a hard time even reading that (although I'm highly sensitive to that type of stuff, I can't watch movies with rape scenes either)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Yeah & my version is tame, this goes on for several pages in violent detail.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

That's an awfully adult topic for a 9 year old. I would talk to the teacher as well. I'm okay with talking to children about issues with certain situations but I had a hard time even reading that (although I'm highly sensitive to that type of stuff, I can't watch movies with rape scenes either)
boshs1andonly
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Oh then I would definitely talk to the teacher. I'm not sure how sexual violence should fit into a 9 year old's reading material

Quoting the3Rs:

Yeah & my version is tame, this goes on for several pages in violent detail.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Whoa.  Not appropriate.  The teacher and the school board would be hearing from me about the age appropriateness of assigned reading material.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. That is really inappropriate. Why would a teacher even think something like that is appropriate?
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM

That's not appropriate for that age group. I would definitely be talking to the teacher and maybe go as far as the principal or school board. I wouldn't want my ds reading that when he gets to that age!

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, not an appropriate age for that.  High school level would be a little better, but 9 year olds need to stay a little innocent for a little longer.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

what! holy crap, this was what they were required to read for class?

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Yup.  Apparently the book is based on a true story, and not ALL of it is this bad (I think - haven't read it all).  But ANY book that has a chapter dedicated to violence and a rape scene - shouldn't be required reading for a 9 year old, in my opinion.

Quoting leahbeah143:

what! holy crap, this was what they were required to read for class?

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, I think that's entirely inappropriate for that age. This is what? 3rd? 4th grade? Not cool. I'd definitely talk to the teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)