Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I kinda wanted to cry **THANK YOU (see response in red)

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm a college advisor (only one) for a program that supports students that have foster care experience.  I love it.  I love helping them.  Of course, with the budget cuts we have had the past several years, I've gained more responsibilities in our department (who hasn't??) and it has taken some time away from this program.  At the same time, we need more funding to really get this program to higher levels but we don't have a development person to focus on fundraising for our program.  We have one person for a huge part of the campus so my little program is not a priority which means I WILL HAVE to do this stuff if i want more done with the program.  The problem is that I don't know how because I've never done this AND I don't like fundraising.  Anyways, I met with an administrator and her assistant to help me focus on what I need to do.....which requires soooooo much of my time (i.e. writing letters, communication, etc) in order to keep the funding coming. 

I wanted to cry because I feel overwhelmed.  I don't know what to do and how to do it.  I went to a training but I need someone specific to my program that would help me get it going.  I just don't know what to do. 

I just want to say thank you for your support!  It is a BIG task and I think I was just initially (still am) overwhelmed with the idea of what I need to do but I love your ideas of breaking it down into manageable tasks.  I appreciate your support and I know that I wouldn't have gotten this in other groups.  Thank you.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

it would be cool if you could find a mentor somehow to help you get it off the ground. do the admistrator and her assistant have experience with this type of thing to where they could help you with contacts?

flutter523
by Tracy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Baby steps! Break down your tasks into smaller parts and hopefully that'll help you prioritize and ask more specific questions when you need help or direction. Good luck momma! You got this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

What you're doing is great. I would write out a list of everything you have to do and set a goal and time frame for each step.

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm sure you will be fine in the end. Its intimidating to be given tasks with a huge challenge and little guideance but in the end, its those tasks that make us stronger. You can do it!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM
That is crazy to expect one person to do who has other responsibilities? We have many people working on raising money for our department, it really takes a lot of effort, really time consuming. I don't know if I have any good advice, sorry you are struggling with this. It is a whole lot of responsibility.
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Is there a colleauge of yours at another college that could help?  Maybe you could work together?

rissarin
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Was there someone in this position before you that you could get in touch with to see what, if anything, they did??
M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Quoting rissarin:

Was there someone in this position before you that you could get in touch with to see what, if anything, they did??

I'm the first person for this program.  I came in when the program was on paper to get started.  Actually...i few students had already been contacted but that's it. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Quoting deccaf:

Is there a colleauge of yours at another college that could help?  Maybe you could work together?

Yes!  Thank you.  The only problem is that they have a hired person to do this job specifically BUT, you are right....I can at least ask questions and see what I can and can't do.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting Marti123:

That is crazy to expect one person to do who has other responsibilities? We have many people working on raising money for our department, it really takes a lot of effort, really time consuming. I don't know if I have any good advice, sorry you are struggling with this. It is a whole lot of responsibility.

It is and the only thing that I think I can do is bring in my students to help me do some of it....like letter writing or putting together newsletters or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)