Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

I need career advice from experienced mothers and wifes

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 28 Replies

I am a college student deciding what career path I should take. I want to be a hands on mom and a great wife to my future husband.  But mostly I want to be the best mom I could be and be there for my kids. I also find it important to be a supporting wife and help my husband pay the bills.  I want to be at the house making sure its spotless clean and dinners are always ready at the table when my husband comes home.  I just need to know what job would be best to live that kind of life where I have a flexible schedule or work at home from. Please give me all the advise, you wise mothers or women you experienced.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristen.Marie
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Well it can be hard to have it all. If you both are working then you need to share the cooking/cleaning responsibilities..... or u will go crazy trying to do it all on your own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crue101
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I agree, but I just don't know what career choices is best or as close to what I want.

2curly
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I am sorry I do not know of anything like that where you can do it all unless you work for yourself maybe. 

Crue101
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

ANything that has a flexible schedule?

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

You need to decide what it is you want to do. Do you want to work with kids, accounting, disabled people, healthcare, a desk job, etc. After thinking about that look into your job options. Example if you want to work in healthcare there's nurses, therapists, doctors, aides

Maof2.sarah
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quality of work/life balance depends on both the job and company if I was newly considering options I would look at: technical or copywriting, sales, consulting as a coach (life, fitness, etc). Most people earn flexibility by showing they are capable and responsible. Do whatever you are passionate about and then find the right company that works with your values. 

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no advice. I can't keep the house spotless while working full time because I miss too much time with my kid. DH works from home, but we still send DS to daycare because its a joke trying to get a job done with a toddler running around. There are work at home opportunities, but you will still actually have to work, which means time away from family and chores. I have a degree in engineering. Its a GREAT career path for me because its challenging, I'm able to find jobs very easily, I make really good money and I can set a positive role model for my kid. My current job also has some flexibility to work from home. However, like I said, working from home with a toddler is very challenging, so I only try it if he's sick or its a snow day. The time I am home, he gets 100% of my time, so the house suffers. When he goes to bed, minus a few minutes I sneak for CM, DH gets my 100% attention. 

Personally, I would just focus on what you have a passion for. Ultimately, if you want to contribute to the household with a salary, make sure its something you love doing, because it will be a struggle to who gets what attention. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Use your academic guidance and college career centers to help you find career choices that offer flexibility . They can usually help you discover what interests you, what you have aptitude in and what degree programs lead to those paths.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
You need to ask yourself what you what to do when you are not with your family. There are many flexible jobs but if dislike the role, it's requirements, that is not healthy for you, which affects your family.

Personally, I believe what you want, your desires and expectations are somewhat unrealistic. Multiple roles requires sacrifice, as no matter how hard we work, wish or try, there are only 24 hours in a day. It is still possible to live happily ever after, as a working mom, but one must let go of the idea of perfection.
MansfieldMama
by Angela on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to find a career that makes you happy.  If you work just to pay the bills, you will be resentful of the time you spend at work.

I'm a high school teacher, and have been for almost 20 years.  I love it!  It allows me to be off when my kids are off (summers, holidays, and home early in the afternoons with them, too), but it wouldn't be worth it if I didn't enjoy teaching.  If I only taught because of the hours, it would be a beating.  I spend so much time preparing lessons and grading essays (I teach AP English) that it would be an awful job if I didn't love teenagers, and love teaching writing.

I do feel like I have what you are seeking, but it's because I found a career that suited me.  I love my job, and it allows me to be with my children.  Also, my husband knows that during the school year I need lots of help around the house with cooking and cleaning.  My children are getting older now, too, and help a lot, as well.  In the summer I do more because I have more time.

I suggest you think about what you truly enjoy, and go from there.  Good luck.  You have an exciting journey ahead of you!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN