Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

realizing this is not the job for me.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 23 Replies
Its sad that I'm having to will myself threw the next 1.5-2 months until I have baby and am not working. I have to though as I m the money maker atm(dh finished testing for doc officer today!!).
There are moments when working with DD people is awesome but there are a quite a few where its extreamly challenging, and clients that are very difficult. Maybe its the setting and that there are other staff and their direct effect on the individual that make things harder. maybe its that I make about $500 every 2wks after taxes and insurance.
But after having mexi frys coughed in my face, 5 times in a matter of 2 min(even after reminders to cover mouth) I wanted to break down and cry. After having my belly elbowed, hit with a cart and hit with a walker(all unintentionaly) I wanted to throw in the towel.

But I feel stuck. I have no idea what I want to do carear wise, although its now apparent. The medical feild and people interaction is not for me. I have to work after I have baby, its not an option but I'm not going to find anything that pays what I make now w/out schooling.

I'm just so worn down its not even funny.
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Do you have computer skills? Use this time pre-baby to buff up on MS products if you don't have advanced skills there. Then, if your DH gets a job, you may be able to take some temp work at random places to see what you like.  Most of it would be reception stuff, but even when I did that, I would make 13-15/hour. Just make sure your typing speed is quick and you are advanced on computer programs (they will test you on both) and you will have a good chance getting some assignments. Also, sign up for like 20 temp agencies when you are ready so you have a ton of chances. Just an idea :)

Diatech12
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Quoting Nighttiger:

Do you have computer skills? Use this time pre-baby to buff up on MS products if you don't have advanced skills there. Then, if your DH gets a job, you may be able to take some temp work at random places to see what you like.  Most of it would be reception stuff, but even when I did that, I would make 13-15/hour. Just make sure your typing speed is quick and you are advanced on computer programs (they will test you on both) and you will have a good chance getting some assignments. Also, sign up for like 20 temp agencies when you are ready so you have a ton of chances. Just an idea :)

Thanks!
I do have computer skills and type quickly but brushing up on some programs would be a good idea. I live in a small town and there are only 2 agencies but I will go to both!
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Iy definitely is tough to work with adults with disabilities and it's not for everyonne. Your clients also make a huge difference. Could you switch to work with other clients?

Diatech12
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Quoting cjsmom1:

Iy definitely is tough to work with adults with disabilities and it's not for everyonne. Your clients also make a huge difference. Could you switch to work with other clients?

I could try but I'm already kind of limited because I'm 31 wks pregnant. All of my clients are. Pretty mobile, only 2 have walkers and I don't need to lift either of them. My nar liscense has not come back yet so that further limits me to clients w/out delegated medical needs..
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What about swtiching after you have the baby? I work with adults with disabilities and if I was with a different client I probably would have quit by now.

Quoting Diatech12:

Quoting cjsmom1:

I could try but I'm already kind of limited because I'm 31 wks pregnant. All of my clients are. Pretty mobile, only 2 have walkers and I don't need to lift either of them. My nar liscense has not come back yet so that further limits me to clients w/out delegated medical needs..

Diatech12
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Quoting cjsmom1:

Yes I probably could, and right now the main source of this is 1 client, they are running out of people willing to work with her too.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I understand how that goes. For 5 weeks straight I was pulled to work with a problem client because nobody else would work with her.

Quoting Diatech12:

Yes I probably could, and right now the main source of this is 1 client, they are running out of people willing to work with her too.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Maybe a different poulation? What about elder companion or in home care?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Diatech12
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Quoting cjsmom1:

I totally feel terrible about it but is the one day I actually dred. My other clients all have their moments but in general are awesome to be around. So much that my husband can tell wich day I'm with this one, small shifts with her I could handle but I am litteraly with her all day. I'm also responsible for her grocery shopping, check book, and most appointments that her household corridinator can't do. So my day with here is busy and sometimes complicated. She also lies..in situations that could get me introuble. Like telling the nurse today that the (what we now know) ring worm on her wrist was a burn from washing dishes last night. She will say she likes food but then tells other staff she does not and then the food is wasted and we get introuble for wasting.

Sry I'm starting to rant.
Diatech12
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting calsmom62:

Maybe a different poulation? What about elder companion or in home care?

Once baby is born I will be helping my bestfriends grandfather a few days a week, light house work and companionship. I've met him before and he's nice.
I've worked in a dialysis clinic and won't go back to that if I had a choice, pay here is less than a walmart cashier :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)