Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

5 year old behavior

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

Mitchell got in big trouble last week. He HIT me! I was so dumbfounded. I took him straight to Mike who laid it on him pretty hard about how hitting women was one of the worst abuses a man can do. 

I think it was all a show because his cousin was over. Mitch looks up to him because he's 2 years older and WAY cool. Mitch said he had to go to the bathroom and then told me he had an accident (which never happens). So I got him some new clothes and tried to beckon him into the hallway so Sean wouldn't be acutely aware of what happened and to not embarrass him. Mitch just sat there scowling at me, so I went to him and asked him if wanted to change in the living room or my bedroom. He got up, started to move, and then just whacked me.

Aye, aye, aye! My sweet, affectionate little boy showing some mean colors! He's usually incredibly sensitive and aware of others. He got grounded for a week from all video games and computer time. He felt awful immediately, too. I sure hope that attitude stays away! : /

Michaela
Wife to Mike
Mommy to Mitchell and Brody

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I am sorry. just guessing, but he couldn't handle and process those emotions at that time so he physically lashed out. Embarrassment, anger and maybe even shame from the accident, You just happened to be in the way. I doubt it'll be a pattern.

I used to be shocked, but my high needs 3 yo hits me almost everyday when anything does not go his way *sigh* it's awful. He's so out of control! I wish we could find a better way to reach his mind and emotions. But we'll keep working on it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Quoting Marti123:

I am sorry. just guessing, but he couldn't handle and process those emotions at that time so he physically lashed out. Embarrassment, anger and maybe even shame from the accident, You just happened to be in the way. I doubt it'll be a pattern.

I used to be shocked, but my high needs 3 yo hits me almost everyday when anything does not go his way *sigh* it's awful. He's so out of control! I wish we could find a better way to reach his mind and emotions. But we'll keep working on it!

yeah, i definitely contribute it to being overwhelmed. the weirdest part was that he didn't actually have an accident. his undies were completely dry. he gets really enamored by the video game when we let him play, so i think it was a lash out because of that and wanting to look big infront of his cousin. 

my two year old is a much more physical kid. mitchell is passive and sensitive. he requires a lot of hands-on direction. brody is definitely the rambunctious, independent type. it's hard to learn the most effective method for each kid. i once heard a quote from a father who had a bipolar son. he said, "the hardest part was realizing that i can't parent him the way i wanted to because it wasn't the best for him." i think about that all the time when i'm handling my children. 

Mireya926
by Mire on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM

wow, my son is also acting up, he has not physically hurt me. But verbally he has. When he doesnot get his way he says things like "well then I'm going to hit you". he is lately talking back to me. He is a sweet bot. everyone love him. so am as well as you wondering if this just a stage. is it a sign of  behavior. 

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Good for you for punishing him. Sometimes kids don't realize how bad something is until they do it and see your reaction. Ds hit me once and I doubt he'll ever do it again.
rissarin
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Oh my goodness! That's upsetting, I'm sure. :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN