Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of leaving....

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 12 Replies

So, I've been working at a law firm since July 2012. My boss told me from day one, when 3 months comes I will be able to give you more money and more hours (I only work 20 hours a week). Well, it's been 8 months. I'm a single mom with no one to help. He has told me numerous times he doesn't care when or what time I come in as long as I am here 20 hours. No problem. I come in at the same time every day and leave the same time everyday. Sometimes I switch around days ( I work more hours one day so I have off the day I need) with his ok. Like I said, I'm the only one that takes care of my daughter. If she's sick, it's hard for me to find a sitter being that everyone works these days. I lost a child at 23 weeks pregnant in November. March 12 was supposed to be his due date so I wanted that day off. He said it was ok. I worked extra on Monday to make up the hours I would be missing tuesday. Tuesday night, my daughter started throwing up with a high fever. I had to switch my wednesday to thurday because my friend didn't work today and could watch my daughter. I will still have my 20 hours in this week. He told me "this is getting ridiculous at this point". I said nothing except ok.

It frustrated me so much because it was two days.....I am still working 20 hours this week. It's very very very rare that I miss work. When I lost my child in November, he wanted me to come in the next day. I came back the following day because he was aggrevated. I have no one else to take care of my child. If she's sick, I have no other choice but to stay home with her when I try to send her to school. I'm sitting here waiting for him to give me that raise and full time and he hasn't, which means I have to have a second job and at one point I had a 3rd. That's taking a lot of one on one quality time away from my daughter. He has no idea and I really don't expect anyone too, but I just need to vent. I can find a full time job working 8 or 9-5 and make a good income and be able to have that time with my daughter.

I'm thinking of waiting it out until I have been here a year (July) and then moving on if nothing has changed, but then is it worth waiting that long? Loosing that time with my daughter? Killing myself for bs money when I could have a better job with better pay and have time left over my princess.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShelbysHope76
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Hmm, If it were me, I would find a full time 8-5, with the understanding that you are the sole caregiver and it is what it is. I also work at a law office and was told I'd learn other areas, been 5yrs and still in real estate. But, they have been good to me. Time off with sick kids, middle of the day awards program at school and so on. I'd start looking, but then Id also give him the courtesy of telling him that this arrangement is not working and here's why....he's an attorney, so no long drawn out talking, he'll lose interest real quick.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I would start looking now.  If something comes along, go for it.  No need to wait a year at a job that is making you miserable if you can find something decent before hand

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

yeah, I'd start looking. Being a single mom is hard enough without the stress of wondering how you're going to make ends meet.

mcr2008
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Quoting ShelbysHope76:

Hmm, If it were me, I would find a full time 8-5, with the understanding that you are the sole caregiver and it is what it is. I also work at a law office and was told I'd learn other areas, been 5yrs and still in real estate. But, they have been good to me. Time off with sick kids, middle of the day awards program at school and so on. I'd start looking, but then Id also give him the courtesy of telling him that this arrangement is not working and here's why....he's an attorney, so no long drawn out talking, he'll lose interest real quick.

That is how I am feeling. Like it will never happen and if I don't make a move, I will be working 20 hours a week for as long as I deal with it. My boss has said he would work with me if need be, but when the time comes, he complains about it. I have known my boss since I was 8. My mom used to work for him a long time ago, but only as his recpetionist, BUT when she worked for him as a receptionist, she made 12.50 per hour starting off. I started off at $10 as his paralegal, and nothing has changed. I will definitely respect him as a boss and let him know, short and sweet and enough notice.

amy0306
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I work in a law firm. When I started 5 years ago I was married and had my 2 daughters. Now I am almost done with the divorce process and I am the primary caregiver for my daughters. Their father never calls out of work for them if they are sick. Everything falls on me. My boss is more than understanding. My hours are 8-4. The rule here is as long as my work is completed and my clients are happy I can pretty much come and go as I please. My kids come first and my boss not only understands that he supports it. If my girls are sick I can bring them in with me if I need to get something done.

I am telling you this because bosses like mine are out there. They are few and far between but they are out there. Start looking now. Put your resume out there. Good luck!

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start looking now and if something comes along, I wouldn't wait for a year.  I'd take it.  There is no sense in staying someplace where you're miserable and being given empty promises and being given a hard time.  They knew from the beginning that you are the sole care-giver for your daughter, yet they are now giving you a hard time. 

mcr2008
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Quoting leahbeah143:

yeah, I'd start looking. Being a single mom is hard enough without the stress of wondering how you're going to make ends meet.

Absolutely. I make $200 a week from him and he seems to think it's ok. Unfortunately it's not : / Just a couple weeks ago we settled a couple of cases, totaling to over $180,000 in his pocket. He told me when the cases settle he would do something really nice for my daughter and I. Not that I'm not grateful for what he did do, but he gave me an extra $100 to take my daughter to chuck e. cheese. It was fun and it was nice, but out of $180,000 that's what I got.....what he pays me weekly is chump change for him......I just feel used at this point and I'm allowing it. I don't get any kind of benefits or anything.

HotMama330
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Like the other said, I would start looking now for a couple of reasons.  1.  Because you don't know how long it will take to find a new position.  And 2. because if he said things were getting ridiculous, you don't want him to decide to fire you one day.

Connect with me.

mcr2008
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thank you ladies for the reasurrance of my sanity. AKA I'm not thinking irrationally. My second job I have 3 children 6,2, and 3 months.....4 nights a week from 230p-between 2 and 5am. Although I am home, I get no time alone with my daughter to do her homework or just watch a movie with her. I love the kids, but I don't get paid well with it either. I make $300 a week for 3 kids 40+ hours. I'm drained. I need ONE full time job.

Swt7
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Quoting deccaf:

I would start looking now.  If something comes along, go for it.  No need to wait a year at a job that is making you miserable if you can find something decent before hand

I suggest you start looking for a new one because you need to be happy besides getting the money.
Goodluck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)