Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting healthy (3/14) - What are your challenges?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 24 Replies

As working moms, what are your challenges to getting healthy?  By identifying some challenges, maybe others can help with solutions.  :)

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I have zero extra time.  Between school and work, I have so much going on, exercise gets tossed aside.  I recently started meal planning, though, so at least that helps.

CrazedMomof2
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Time is always my biggest issue. 

I get up before work to work out which REALLY helps. Also, tonight I will be stuck at the school until 7:30 for Elise's practice so I brought the jogger and will walk/jog while she is practicing. That will help. My running has suffered this week as it has been too hot to run at lunch. :/

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Well, time, which I'm sure will be popular on here. Between kids, husband, and work....not much time for workouts. I try to hit the gym most days on my lunch break, but a 20-30 min workout takes a long time to see results.

My other challenge is food. I like junk food. A lot. And I can eat even when I'm not hungry. I need to learn to control myself.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Time....just like everyone else.  I wake up at 6am and absolutely struggle waking up sooner than that.  I try to run during my lunch time but something always comes up or I have a meeting just before or after that prevents me from being able to go for a run.  For example, the past two days I intended to run.  On Tuesday, my coworker realized she forgot her wallet and had no lunch so instead of running i took her out to lunch.  Yesterday, we were doing a video shoot and it was supposed to end at noon but I had a meeting at 1pm.  I thought I would still get some time in.  Nope!  It went to almost 12:45pm.  I didn't even have lunch until almost 2pm. 

Sports is also a big part of our lives.  During the Fall, it's soccer but I can usually run during their practice.  Basketball season, I coach so I'm there at practices.  Softball season....I manage my oldest daughter's team and help coach with my husband for our twins' team.  I really wanted to go for a walk when we got home but of course dinner and homework was a priority.  By the time we were done, it's 8:30pm and I'm exhausted.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Besides a lack of time to work out, time also affects food.  I try to buy foods that we can make that are healthy and quick but there ar times that the it's just easier to get food because we are so tired.

paytonleximomma
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I think mine is the fact that I am a very picky eater.  I dont like alot of veggies at all.  Plus this time of year I am stuck inside for work so I am not moving around alot and my boss and myself order out lunch alot. When this weather turns around I think I am going to start walking during my lunches and just get up from my desk every 2 hrs and walk around the building. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Another challenge....I'm not creative with my food at all and trying to make something that my kids will also eat.

Ruth1027
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Absolutely it's time.  I work full time, have an hour commute, and I have four children who are all involved in activities.  Between them we've got Swim Team, ROTC, Tennis, Basketball, Chorus, Musical Theater, and Drama.  

Top that off with the fact that my husband does all of the grocery shopping because his work schedule allows him to go at non-peak times, and he does most of the cooking because he is home much earlier than I, so I have little to no control over the food that is in the house and what is made for meals.  

I used to work 7.5 miles from work, and I rode a bike to work instead of driving.  I lost a huge amount of weight, and the bike ride was a big stress reliever for me.  I loved it and I miss it terribly.  :(

Since switching jobs, and adding a 4th child to our family, I have gained about 50 lbs.  I need ideas!!  Quick!!!!

Bubbie0809
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM

It is a combo of time and food choices. I work at home, so there is an endless supply of food around and even the healthiest food adds up calorie wise. 

I am not a super busy mom (my kids aren't in any activities yet) but I feel like with my work schedule (10 hour days) that by the time I get off I am just tired and don't feel like trying to make it to the gym (which involves taking the kids to the sitter for an hour or so)

After spring break I am changing back to 8 hour days, so hopefully that will help with my time (get off around 2:00) I don't know what to do about the food, I am hungry all day.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

During the school year time and motivation. I have no desire to work out after I've worked all day. Even doing yoga at the end of the day is like work to me lately. Time because most of the week it's me and my kids my husband works nights and when he's working OT like this week, I just can't find any me time.

Junk food is another issue, especially lately. Rather than using stress reducing skills that I know work well for me ~ journaling and yoga/exercise~ I've been turning to sweets. Lots of emotional eating this year for me~ I know better but I still do it :( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)