Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sugar!

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 13 Replies

Since we are talking healthy, have you ever tracked how much sugar you eat in a day? So, 2 days ago I grabbed a bag of MM's from the vending machine because...well,... I'm pregnant and I wanted them :P However, as I was eating them, I checked the sugar level. 35g of sugar in one bag! I know sodas are that high as well. Did some research and adults are only supposed to have 40g of added sugar a day. Figured I was screwed that day! I knew I had oatmeal that morning too, so the next morning I checked the oatmeal. 9g of sugar in each packet! I had 2. Oye. DS wanted yogurt for breakfast so I thought that would be ok. Checked the sugar on that. 12g! I figured maybe it wasn't added sugar, but sure enough, 4th ingredient! I know I'm doing good with no soda, but do manufacturers really have to add sugar to everything!?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flutter523
by Tracy on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Sugar is a sneaky ingredient. It's in everything! Cutting back in it is really hard but really helps when you want to lose weight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rissarin
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Sugar is soooo hard to cut out! Especially if you're cutting out carbs, because sugar is a carb, so your tasty, yummy options are minimal. Like fruits, and breads. So yummy, but most are filled. :'(

Carbs/sugars are my weakness. :-/
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Sugar is better than artificial sweetners, though.  It's a great idea to cut added sugars.  I think I will try that.  I will say I can't cut natural sugars like fruit and stuff, though.

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That and HFCS... *smfh*

LyTe684
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
3 moms liked this

This post makes me remember a news clip I caught one day. They said that because of the weather change, the price of food is going to rise because of the corn crop. Because corn is in almost anything. For some reason that pissed me off. Don't sugar coat it. There isn't kernels of corn floating around in everything. It's freaking HFCS. Just say it. Our country allows all this added crap that's bad for you, and since we (general statement) don't know any better, we consume it.

How hard is it to NOT add that crap? There is no benefit to it anyway!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Did you see the article about dairy farmers wanting to add fake sugars (sucrolose etc ) to milk without having to add it to the label?

Quoting LyTe684:

This post makes me remember a news clip I caught one day. They said that because of the weather change, the price of food is going to rise because of the corn crop. Because corn is in almost anything. For some reason that pissed me off. Don't sugar coat it. There isn't kernels of corn floating around in everything. It's freaking HFCS. Just say it. Our country allows all this added crap that's bad for you, and since we (general statement) don't know any better, we consume it.

How hard is it to NOT add that crap? There is no benefit to it anyway!

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM
They said no more than 40g added but up to 100g natural is ok. I'm not cutting natural either. I figured the yogurt was natural from the milk until I saw it listed in the ingredients :(

Quoting deccaf:

Sugar is better than artificial sweetners, though.  It's a great idea to cut added sugars.  I think I will try that.  I will say I can't cut natural sugars like fruit and stuff, though.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I don't even look very frequently, as I know it is depressing. Yogurt, IMO, is one of the sneakiest products for that, lol, it is loaded!

Although, I became much more aware after Our daycare implemented the 5gm of sugar or less per serving rule.

I focus more on just trying to increase vegetables for our family, then cooking non-processed meals, the sugar just naturally gets cuts back that way.
mickstinator
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Food shipped to America from other countries has added sugar because we are known for our especial taste for the stuff. Our palates are addicted to super-sweet foods! I avoid the obvious things like sodas and candy, but I don't even attempt to figure it out in all those other things. 

mickstinator
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LyTe684:

That and HFCS... *smfh*

bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)