Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Poor mans dinner - Edit

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 45 Replies

This is what my mom calls making a dinner with what you have to make it through to the next check. Like no meat in the freezer we would have tuna spaghetti. ewww right!! Not its actually pretty good. She made it with macaroni tuna and a can of spaghetti sauce. we use to eat butter on crackers as a snack, now i think about it and i'm like how she let us eat that crap! She did the best she could with what she had i suppose. I love her!

Share some of your poor mans dinners... i'm always looking for a cheep dinner.. or poor moms dinner is more like it!

First Feature!!!  Thank you! and Thank you to all you ladies with the yummy simple meals! Sometimes it can be so tight with money and having these quick and easy and at hand meals is a great way to make it to the next pay check! You guys are awesome!

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

"stack-a-meals"  Leftover rice, leftover homemade spaghetti sauce, peas, and American cheese.  All stacked on top of the other (Rice, then sauce, then cheese, then peas, to get the cheese between two hot things so it would melt).

"Cornmeal mush". With the government cornmeal.

Macaroni and chopped pickles.

Macaroni, tomato sauce and cut up hotdogs.

Toritilla with au gratin potatoes on top.

pinwheels (Meatloaf meat shaped into patties with a depression in the middle, topped with rice, tomato sauce, then cheese strips to make a pinwheel"

Stuffed cabbage

ANYTHING on toast...chipped beef, creamed tuna, creamed peas, etc.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Or, during hunting/fishing seasons, whatever was in season and we caught/killed, had a friend give to us.

christyg
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I meke pot pie with whatever leftover meats/veggies are in the fridge. Pie crust is only flour and shortening, and I usually have both of those. 

die4u
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM

we always did hot dogs in mac and cheese or cut up in sauerkraut. do you favor any of the ones you posted

Quoting deccaf:

"stack-a-meals"  Leftover rice, leftover homemade spaghetti sauce, peas, and American cheese.  All stacked on top of the other (Rice, then sauce, then cheese, then peas, to get the cheese between two hot things so it would melt).

pinwheels (Meatloaf meat shaped into patties with a depression in the middle, topped with rice, tomato sauce, then cheese strips to make a pinwheel"

Stuffed cabbage

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Quoting die4u:

we always did hot dogs in mac and cheese or cut up in sauerkraut. do you favor any of the ones you posted

Quoting deccaf:

Stuffed cabbage

I really enjoyed stack-a-meals, still eat macaroni and tomato sauce, will crave the macaroni and pickles, pretty much anything except the stuff on toast. EWWWW.
die4u
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

what about gravy for that, i'm not the best cook, but i love trying new things.

our favorite desert is simple peach/or whatever pie filling you like cobbler. cup of water cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of melted butter pour into pan then pour in your filler and bake till golden brown at 350. 

Quoting christyg:

I meke pot pie with whatever leftover meats/veggies are in the fridge. Pie crust is only flour and shortening, and I usually have both of those. 

die4u
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

cheese and spaghetti sauce just don't seem like they would go together, but i suppose its not much different than like a veggie lasagna maybe.

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting die4u:

Quoting deccaf:

Stuffed cabbage

I really enjoyed stack-a-meals, still eat macaroni and tomato sauce, will crave the macaroni and pickles, pretty much anything except the stuff on toast. EWWWW.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Quoting die4u:

cheese and spaghetti sauce just don't seem like they would go together, but i suppose its not much different than like a veggie lasagna maybe.

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting die4u:

Quoting deccaf:

Stuffed cabbage

We liked it, but you could always sub in mozerrella or something. Any of the cheeses that work with spaghetti or lasagne
christyg
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Depends on what I have. Cream of anything soup works pretty good. 

The easiest gravy is to melt some butter (1/2 stick?), add enough flour to soak up the butter (1/2 c?), cook it for about 5 minutes (this is called a roux, google it for better measurements). Add about 2C milk and 2C broth (beef or chicken, depending on your base meat) and simmer it until its slightly thick. I cook for a big family, and I will make a 9X13 pan full of filling and just put pie crust on the top.

*** We use the same "sauce", add chunked chicken and serve it over toast and mashed potatoes. 

Quoting die4u:

what about gravy for that, i'm not the best cook, but i love trying new things.

our favorite desert is simple peach/or whatever pie filling you like cobbler. cup of water cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of melted butter pour into pan then pour in your filler and bake till golden brown at 350. 

Quoting christyg:

christyg
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This reminds me of another one.

1# ANY type of pasta (I prefer spiral or elbow noodles) ... cooked

1# hamburger ... cooked 

1 jar spaghetti sauce

2 cups cheese, or however much you have on hand

Mix all together and heat until cheese melts.

All my teens, their friends, and all my daycare kids LOVE this! Growing up, my mom called it goulash, but it is nothing like "real" goulash.

Quoting die4u:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting die4u:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN