Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

How much notice?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 26 Replies

Most of you know that I run a daycare from my home. I want to make some changes next fall when school starts back up again, and I am struggling with when to tell the parents. I have a few young toddlers right now, and they will need to find somewhere new.

On one hand, I want to give them as much time as possible, but in reality, I don't want them leaving me too early and potentially losing a lot of income. The kids needs always come first for me, but I also have to look out for the business end of my daycare and make the best financial choice as well.

If your daycare provider decided to make a change and you needed to find new childcare, how much notice would you think is reasonable? I know that it is a stressful process, so I want to give them advance warning. I'm thinking maybe a month??? But if I make changes in September, then that means notice in August and thats usually a crazy month for most parents. 

I'm really torn about this. Not quite sure what to do. I want a "working mom's" perspective. Thanks.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM

IMHO, I think if you know now then you should tell them now. 

It's up to them to decide how much time they need to find a new provider.

familyisamour
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I agree with Cindy18. Finding a new childcare provider isn't as a simple as driving there and enrolling. Some places aren't accepting certain age groups and some places might be too far away or have rules that the parent doesn't agree with. The family needs time to find the perfect place so their child isn't just with you one day and somewhere new the next without really knowing what's going on.

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Being a mom to a toddler, I would say a month is good notice.  I wouldn't say August is especially busy for us, but I have no other children starting school.  If you have mostly parents of older and younger kids, maybe let them know you may be making changes and will let them know in August what is going on.

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I would say 4-6 weeks is enough.  To protect yourself and your business make sure you have everything spelled out clearly in writing.

Connect with me.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I would prefer 6-8 weeks notice. I think if you told me mid-July, I would be able to find another provider in that amount of time.

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Are there other in-home providers in your area besides yourself?  What if you did the research for them?  Call around to other providers and find out if they have room for those particular ages.  Then when you let the parents know about your changes, you could say something like "I know Mrs. X and Miss Y have room for your little one(s) in their daycare and would be happy to take them.  The kids would be well cared for there."  Then give the contact info for those other providers.

I'm just thinking that if you did some of that research for them, it would easier to give a shorter notice because if they want to go with your recommendation then it won't take them much time at all to set it all up.  Then too the parents will feel better about having to leave you and will likely be a better reference for you in the future.

courtneycatt
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I will tell you that I would rather go through labor again than find new daycare, it was horrible.  My first had to stay with a friend until he could get into a home daycare, then my youngest started daycare at 1 month old because it was the only time he could get in. 

Maybe just before summer break so they have that time to start looking for another place?  Good luck

christyg
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I am hoping to do this. I have 3 kids (1Fulltime, 2Parttime) who's parents are friends and they like having the kids together. They really trust me, so if I can find someone that I trust, I think they would go there.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Are there other in-home providers in your area besides yourself?  What if you did the research for them?  Call around to other providers and find out if they have room for those particular ages.  Then when you let the parents know about your changes, you could say something like "I know Mrs. X and Miss Y have room for your little one(s) in their daycare and would be happy to take them.  The kids would be well cared for there."  Then give the contact info for those other providers.

I'm just thinking that if you did some of that research for them, it would easier to give a shorter notice because if they want to go with your recommendation then it won't take them much time at all to set it all up.  Then too the parents will feel better about having to leave you and will likely be a better reference for you in the future.

christyg
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM

YIKES! I have one special needs little guy, and she is always telling me how happy she is that she found me. Its gonna be a HARD conversation!!!  I think I will tell her privately before the others. 

Quoting courtneycatt:

I will tell you that I would rather go through labor again than find new daycare, it was horrible.  My first had to stay with a friend until he could get into a home daycare, then my youngest started daycare at 1 month old because it was the only time he could get in. 

Maybe just before summer break so they have that time to start looking for another place?  Good luck

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

the sooner the better because it's hard getting good daycare.  Also, many openings are not available until Fall so I wouldn't worry too much.  2 months would be nice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)