Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Government Budget Cuts

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

Anyone been affected by them? Even though I work in the defense industry, our company (privately owned) has been untouched thus far for contracts. However, my dad received notice on March 1 that he would lose his job April 1. They have since changed that to cutting his hours and taking a 50% pay cut. Not terrible since he has military retirement and turns 62 in October, so he doesn't NEED the money to survive, but definitely sucks to take the hit. How about you guys? 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Not yet

christaberk
by Christa on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM
We are fine do far. BO said that thousands of teachers would lose their jobs. I'm sage so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Private industry for me, no effect as of yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2CailynP
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Not yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ruth1027
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

We have not been affected by this particular round of cuts.  However, I was affected by the cuts that have been happening all along as the economy went downhill.  Government has been cutting back in many places for a while.  I had to change jobs about a year and a half ago when the government office I worked for started eliminating benefits and cutting positions.  Luckily I have a skill set that is in demand right now, so it wasn't a problem for me to find work, but it was disappointing to have to leave.  I had been there for over 7 years.  :(

the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

No impact here.

littlelamb303
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

YES,my dh  is FAA, his furlough starts in April.  The reason why no one has felt it yet, is because the job losses and furloughs have not started yet.  If you are traveling there will be delay and cancellations of flights  No one will be available to fix runway problems, as there is no overtime.  etc..............

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Not yet~ but I work in education so who knows.

My co workers husband works in defense, he will be losing a day of work per week starting in April.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

not that I'm aware of.

christaberk
by Christa on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Holy cow, my phone mangled that one. Sorry, guys.

Quoting christaberk:

We are fine do far. BO said that thousands of teachers would lose their jobs. I'm sage so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)